UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Curiosity Shop comp

This series kinda threatened to make an appearance a few years back
but it never materialized and I assumed they used all the tracks for Piccadilly Sunshine but perhaps not...

Due soon...Opening up a new chapter in the tapestry of earthly delights, Particles presents a colourful variety of obscured pop nuggets recorded in the British psychedelic period.

The psychedelic effects have gone and the lightshows have blown, but their lingering presence in the aftermath of the hallucogenic haze is, albeit less defined, strangely evident.

The end of the explosive decade that brought us the fab four and gave us the pop star was proving to be a turning point in both musical and political terms.

Curiosity Shop provides an insight into the changing times with an illustrious soundtrack to furnish the senses.. Good vibrations indeed!

Tracklisting: 1. DAY ‘N’ NIGHT......... I Just Need Somebody (1970) 2. CAMALEONTI .......... Applause (1968) 3. COLIN GIFFIN.......... When I Was So Young (1969) 4. HUMBUG ................. Groovin’ With Mr. Bloe (1970) 5. BUGGY .................... Harry The Keeper (1970) 6. MICHAEL BLOUNT ... Acorn Street (1970) 7. BILLY M. LAWRIE .... Come Back Joanna (1969) 8. LORI BALMER ......... Four Faces West (1968) 9. CANDY CHOIR ......... Love Me Princess (1971) 10. LOVELACE GREEN ... Sister George (1969) 11. DAVID & DAVID........ In The City (1970) 12. SAMSON .................. Venus (1970) 13. THE MIXED BAG ...... Have You Ever Been In Love (1969) 14. TAPESTRY ................ Florence (1968) 15. GRAND UNION ........ She Said, She Said (1968) 16. SAKER ..................... Constantly (1969) 17. QUARTET................. When Will My Lady Come (1969) 18. RAINBOWS .............. Nobody But You (1969) 19. KANSAS HOOK ......... Echo Park (1970) 20. SAMSON .................. Wool And Water (1970)

Re: Curiosity Shop comp

Some of those are on my old Pop Cycles series. Pity it's Particles, as these will be little more than needle drop quality. Songs like David & David's 'In The City' and and Day 'n' Night's 'I Just Need Somebody' deserve a really good remaster. They're quality recordings and are very much in the style of the 'Tea & Syphony' or 'Fading Yellow' comps. Nonetheless,better that they are at least in the public domain. It looks like an interesting collection and worth having. The 13-yearold Lori Balmer does a good version of the Bee Gee's 'Four Faces West' and this only usually turns up on 60s girl singer comps, so nice to see it on a wider style of collection.

PM

I wonder how Particles (and similar labels) can continue selling all of this stuff without getting busted, because surely these are all unofficial? I applaud each and every release as we all want new music, but the artists deserve their money. OK, rant over...

By the way, Paul, did you (or anyone else?) upload several of your excellent Pop Cycles comps onto Dropbox a while back or did I just dream this? I lost pretty much my entire FLAC/mp3 collection recently... :-(

... and, yes, my rant about unofficial releases seems a bit funny when read just before my request for free mp3's...

Boris - I think they have done in the past hence the re-branding (Past and Present becomes Psychic Circle becomes Particles etc). However, I understand they pay royalties into an escrow account, which I guess must be a legal way round the time consuming and exacting process of gaining licensing from each and every artist that appears on their numerous comps. Plus I imagine it would be almost a task for Sherlock Holmes himslef to trace who owns some of the copyrights on the obcure labels some of this stuff came out on originally.

I don't have any Pop Cycles uploaded at present but I can put some on Dropbox if you let me know which ones you need. Just to recap (re the hyppcrasy factor!). The PC series was a non-commercial freely given series I made of (at the time) under appreciated or unknown 45s for the purpose of giving them some public profile. I guess Particles, FY and other comemrcial entities picked up on some of the cuts on them as well (as multiple reisuers have done with cuts originally on Rubble etc) so it does mean tunes and artists who would otherwise have languished in perpetual obscurity, now have a fan base, even if the aritsts themselves don't know it!

PM

Paul,

Many thanks for your reply and very friendly offer! I would love just about any volume of 'Pop Cycles' to be honest. I'm mainly after the stuff that's still uncomped. Do you have them in FLAC?

BTW, I just checked my inbox and noticed an email exchange we had back in the summer of 2007 (how time flies!). I was going to send you a DVDR of Syd-era Floyd videos in exchange for a few volumes of 'Pop Cycles' on CDR. Did you ever get that DVDR? I have a very vague memory that I got your CDR's so they should probably be around here somewhere if I wade through a couple of million boxes in the attic.

That must be a hell of long in box if you still have a 2007 email on it! Don't think I got the DVDR. Email me your email address and I'll send links for Pop Cyles. Just in bog standard MP3 I'm afraid, my PC / IT skills are negligible to say the least!

Paul

For a fleeting moment I thought this may be some comp of stuff recorded but unreleased by the band who did Baby I Need You. Psych/freakbeat royalty but spelt as Shoppe.

Paul Martin
Boris - I understand they pay royalties into an escrow account, which I guess must be a legal way round the time consuming and exacting process of gaining licensing from each and every artist that appears on their numerous comps. Plus I imagine it would be almost a task for Sherlock Holmes himslef to trace who owns some of the copyrights on the obcure labels some of this stuff came out on originally.

PM

No, this isn't correct. Even if royalties were paid into an escrow account, that only covers the songwriting royalties. Ownership of the actual recordings is an entirely separate matter, and it's the fact that these labels don't license any of the recordings from the owners that makes them out-and-out bootlegs.

Andy C

No, this isn't correct. Even if royalties were paid into an escrow account, that only covers the songwriting royalties. Ownership of the actual recordings is an entirely separate matter, and it's the fact that these labels don't license any of the recordings from the owners that makes them out-and-out bootlegs.

Yes excatly, unless of course the artist/s have bought back the master recordings too, so you can make one only deal

Gian

Yes excatly, unless of course the artist/s have bought back the master recordings too, so you can make one only deal

That's true, and that's how some reissue labels are able to put out legitimate releases. But as everybody knows, Psychic Circle/Past & Present/Particles are simply a bootleg operation, stealing recordings that were made by major and minor labels and bands alike.

Yeah well, bootleggers they may be but I don't see any of the labels that own these recordings (assuming they are still in existence) making much effort to cater to fans of this music with comps of their own, so I, for one, am glad someone is making them available.

From what I understand, it's extremely hard to get the rights for recordings owned by the giants (Universal, EMI, etc.) so these unofficial bootleg releases are most likely the only way to get to hear this stuff. I'm just surprised they can continue to sell it via Amazon and similar retailers without getting caught. On the other hand, had they bootlegged the latest Taylor Swift album I'm sure they would have been busted within seconds!