UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edwards Hand-Rainshine-The Third album

This looks a very interesting future release,description courtesy of Heyday Mail order!!I think this release is going to be released by Dave Wells Wooden Hill label!!

Due soon...First-ever issue of Rainshine, the semi-mythical third and final LP from post-Picadilly Line outfit Edwards Hand, recorded in early 1971 with legendary producer George Martin at the helm.

Despite persistent collector-world rumours of a withdrawn or promo-only pressing on the Regal Zonophone label, the album failed to gain any kind of release - until now, that is.

As can finally be heard, Rainshine turns out to be a lost early 70s soft rock/baroque pop classic, with a clutch of wonderful songs ably supported by sumptuous vocal harmonies, sympathetic musicianship and some exquisite baroque pop arrangements from George Martin.

Taken from the original master tapes, this long-awaited release features a beautiful 12-page booklet with lots of previously unpublished photos as well as the full story behind the LP.

Track Listing 1. Pacific Coast Highway 2. Going Down 3. Let It Shine On Me 4. If You Were Here 5. Race Against The Sun 6. New York City Rain 7. Lullaby 8. Real Slow 9. Beam Me Aboard 10. Smile LA, You're The Centre Of The World 11. Just Friends (Episodes, being the 2nd part) 12. It's My Time

Bonus Tracks

13. Slippin' 'n' Slidin' 14. They're Only Gonna Take My Life 15. I Love You 16. Early Days 17. Turn Round Love 18. Goodbye Gypsy Flyer 19. Hard Road 20. Sail Away 21. All Long Gone 22. Introduction

Re: Edwards Hand-Rainshine-The Third album

Got it this past week and gave it a spin last night...
To be honest, I was left a little underwhelmed. I had my hopes set pretty high for this release - "exquisite baroque pop arrangements from George Martin" nailed it for me. As the disc finished playing I asked myself, "Did I miss something?"
No, I don't think I did. To me, it sounded like a James Taylor record - and I've never even listened to a James Taylor record! I only know what I heard on the radio growing up, and - sorry if you're a JT fan - but I find his hits a bit on the boring side.
As I found this CD as well. I'll certainly give it another try... but I'm in no rush.

Hi Mark,James Taylors Apple album is well worth a listen,produced by Peter Asher,its certainly better than the stuff that came after imo,it features songs with string sections and other additions like harpsichord,wind instruments and of course guitar and some organ to give it in parts....yes......a baroque like sound!!Recorded between July through to October 1968,Peter Asher does a splendid job in producing this album......im so disappointed to hear that "Rainshine"turned out to be a let down for you....i've still to hear it and once i do i'll leave some feedback too.I love the Picadilly Lines"The Huge World of Emily Small"(tho it is a bit twee at times) and first Edwards Hand albums,Edwards Hands second album"Stranded"has a different sound to the first and imo not as good as the self titled debut!!But "stranded" does have its redeeming moments too so im glad i have that in my collection.Amazon had"Rainshine"selling at 16 quid as a pre order.....so i'll have to check if its price has come down as i aint paying that.But thanks for the feedback Mark!!!!

Just seen it's on ebay at the moment for £12 plus postage.

Hi Stu,
Yeah, I love Picadilly Line (I'm a bit of a fiend for twee myself) and both Edwards Hand albums. It did take a little while to get into Stranded, but now the only thing I don't like about it is the album art!

Thanks for the heads-up about James Taylor's Apple debut. I knew he was the first artist to be signed by The Beatles, but always wrote it off due to what I heard on AM radio back in the day. I just gave the album samples on allmusic a listen and you're right, it sounds pretty damn good! I think that album just might fit nicely in my collection after all...