UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crying Wood(Wallace?)

I've come across an album called Back To The Mountains by Crying Wood. They were a Dutch band and recoded it in 1969 with it being released the following year and apparently only in Canada which seems quite strange . It's fairly easy to listen to it on line but I can't find any trace of it being reissued or for sale at all.
So does Wallace, being from Canada, or anyone else know anything about this?

Re: Crying Wood(Wallace?)

Nope.

Gotta book on Dutch prog by Carsten Busch.

This band is not mentioned.

Wot's it like? Wots label?

full album here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfoSXoXsJ6U
nice album

heres some more info gleaned from WWW
Crying Wood
In the mid sixties the band Goldstar Brothers was formed by singer Andre Groote, guitarist Henk Groote and drummer Ben Groote. Later they changed their name to G-Brothers and finally to Geebros. They were joined by organ player Lol Nijhuis, who was replaced by Henny Backers in 1968. The music was somewhat psychedelic. In 1969 their musical interest changed and they choose yet another name: Crying Wood. By this time they made heavy progressive music. The band Crying Wood 45toured intensively and even recorded an album in 1970, which was called "Back to the mountains". Apparently this album was only released in Canada. The music on it is heavy with hints of Focus and Pantheon. Shortly after recording the album, the band fell apart. In 1974 the band is reformed by Ben Groote in 1974. Other members are: Cor Lievers (keyboards), Jan Veldkamp (guitar) and Gert Kozijn (bass guitar). Although the band records several demo's, a proper release was never made. Several line up changes follow, and the band finally ends in 1976.

Thanks for that oh mighty P.O.S. Saves me doing it. This is the only info i can find on them. Don't know how it was uploaded to you tube. Vinyl rip I guess. It hasn't cracked a mention on popsike.com so don't how or when it has ever turned up.
Blue Eyed Witch/The Trip was a single released from the album, The a side has appeared on the Fantasio Daze comp.
I have a great psych single from 1968 called Let Me Find The Sun(also on you tube) from their earlier incarnation as Geebros.

This is an album where it is easy to find the info "Apparently only issued in Canada", but I have never seen the album. Was it really issued at all?

i think so as there are pictures of album on you tube but the you tube guy who put them on doesnt answer email so who knows maybe the record company who issued it might have answer unless its a spoof album
there is this about studio
Gerard Theo (Ge) Bakker ( Makassar , former Dutch East Indies , 5 June 1910 - The Hague , 20 January 1989 ) was a Dutch sound engineer and founder-owner of the famous recording studio GTB, which over 50 years was a leader in his field. Ge Bakker and son Erik have considerably namely improving sound techniques and became the standard for modern HIFI recording studio. "One of the highlights for GTB Bakker was recording an album of the Military Band, at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw . "That was the standard test plate for the high-fidelity system."
he died in 1989

Rather depressing lyrics - sun doesn't shine, anorl.
Compared to Focus & Pantheon. (Wot curntz compare this to Focus?)

Different male vocalist from one track to the other?? "Someone who needs you" sounds like the vocalist from Golden Earring.

Not bad lp overall.

strange you should say that Bakkers son Erik helped produce some of GE albums

Here's another Dutch rarity from 1970. The Fun Of It-Meditation. The full album can be heard on you tube but does not appear to have been reissued. Came out on a label I've never heard of called Blossom. They had a few singles as well. Some great Hammond work on this album which I'm always a sucker for.
Don't know if it's a common Dutch name, but there is a Bakker in this band too.

it seems from info gleaned from WWW that Eric Bakker was a engineer at quite a few places
heres another ive not heard of
http://www.discogs.com/Sandy-Coast-Shipwreck/release/3898418

Okay, Bakker must be a common Dutch surname as there is another one in the early 70s band Alquin. Their favourite album of mine is Mountain Queen. It contains a great little prog/psych track called Convicts Of The Air. I've read of them as being compared to the Canterbury scene type bands, but not too sure about that.

Hiya Greg,i agree Alquins"Mountain Queen"is a good album,but i also have a double cd by them titled"The Marks Sessions",which has some splendid moments,this was released by the Pseudonym label in 2013,cd 1 are previously unreleased sessions for the "Marks"album from 1972 and cd2 is a live concert from 1972 also,it also contains good liners and photos in booklet too.Well worth investigation!!

Cheers for that Stuart. I have the Marks album but didn't know about the expanded version.
Do you know the album Green Man by Ache? A Danish band who have a real UK sound on this album from 1971. Think it would be up your alley, and Phil, knowing your interest in Beatles covers, they do a version of We Can Work It Out that you might like to listen to on you tube.

Ache is killah proto prog. (One later lp they move into straight pwog; and its not as interesting.)

Iron Duke two lps are also must-have protos.

HaHa!

Guy on Russian site reckons Crying Wood is right up there on the maximum pwog rarity scale with METAPHYSICAL ANIMATION - SAME (us,'73) private wobblay.

Yons seriously warped interpwertation of rare.

Bitta usual rabid internet truth-bending, by gum!

Dunno Wallace. Just listened to Iron Duke and by 1974 it sounded more straight out prog to me. Once all those synths started replacing Hammonds it starting sounding too much ELP for me. All a matter of taste of course and I know you are an Emerson fan, but for me personally I prefer most early 70s keyboard stuff. I remember a discussion long ago about Banks and Emerson and IMO Banks added to the overall sound and mood of Genesis whereas Emerson tended to dominate.
Easy to talk like this though when I've been out this arvo with friends at a micro brewery indulging in a brew or three.