UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Truth Mod Bedlam 65-69

Mod duo Frank Aiello and Steve Jameson from north London, the latter a Stamford Hill mod alongside Marc Bolan. Managed from 1966 by David Nicolson and Ken Pitt, who also had David Bowie in the stable of artists.

• Released seven singles between 1965-1968, scoring an international hit with the Beatles Girl. A bonus single credited as Shere Khan is added from 1969. Added to which are two previously unreleased tracks, original songs written by Steve Jameson.

• Tracks benefitted from fine collaborators including arranger Johnny Harris, musicians Alan Price and Mitch Mitchell on Jailer Bring Me Water, Big Jim Sullivan on several tracks including the double electric guitar parts on Old Ma Brown , and Jimmy Page on Sueno and I Can’t Make It Alone.

• Further stand out tracks include the driving and punchy Who’s Wrong, the high octane version of Hey Gyp, the mod club rocker Baby You Got It.

• Sleeve notes include new interviews with Jameson, Aiello and Nicolson and photo’s from their archives.

• Frank Aiello later joined Cozy Powell to form Bedlam in the 70’s, at which time Steve Jameson scored a Northern Soul hit as Nosmo King before switching to a long career in comedy.

NB: This title is released 23rd February 2015 and will not be dispatched until this date.

Track Listing:

1. BABY YOU GOT IT
2. SHE’S A ROLLER
3. BABY DON’T YOU KNOW
4. COME ON HOME
5. JAILER BRING ME WATER
6. WHO’S WRONG
7. HEY GYP
8. I GO TO SLEEP
9. GIRL
10. JINGLE JANGLE
11. WALK AWAY RENEE
12. FLY AWAY BIRD
13. BUSKER BILL *
14. OLD MA BROWN
15. SUENO
16. I CAN’T MAKE IT ALONE *
17. LITTLE LOUISE **
18. NO REASON **

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
**AS SHERE KHAN

Re: The Truth Mod Bedlam 65-69

That's a goodd news

very cool but surprised the Traxter pseudonym not included
best, eggy

I'm enjoying this set very much.
They did a lot of covers but most of them are great.
I always loved their version of the Rascals 'Sueno', it's such an ecstatic 3 mins!
It sounds much better on here than other comps..
They do a great job with our man Presleys Jingle Jangle too..

The two previously unreleased tracks are glorious slices of lyte pop-psych.
Bill the Busker and a real gem of a Goffin-King song 'I can't make it alone' which clocks in at almost five minutes, great song with mellotron that ends with bendy piano ripples as the whole thing implodes with reverb...top notch!!

Their version of Lennon's 'Girl' does nothing for me and also I don't think they were the best at the R&B stuff but most of this disc is pretty good and some of it is great!

Great sound throughout..the 2 Shere Khan tracks sound like they may be dubbed from the 45 but sound clean.

Going for £6 on Amazon...not bad!!

Thanks Painterman, I've been wondering about this one and had overlooked it due to all the covers, but I shall have to give it a shot. Didn't St Louis Uniion also cover 'Girl' as a 45? It seems to be a song that doesn't really work for anyone outside The Beatles themselves, odd!

PM