UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spooky Tooth - Island Years box set

Just saw on Spin - Spooky Tooth 9 x CD box set 1967-74 due end of April @£70.
Includes the Art album, all seemingly in card gatefold digi sleevs. There's an 8 LP box as well @ 119 with the CD bonus stuff as downloads. I think I'll go for the CD box. I love ST but oddly don't have much by them.

http://www.spincds.com/box-sets/nothing-more-the-collected-fotheringay-3cd-dvd-box-set-44260

PM

Re: Spooky Tooth - Island Years box set

Aimee who used to be on here was a huge fan i seem to remember

Thanks for the heads up on this one Paul...i must plead ignorance and say i dont know what Spooky Tooths albums are like as a whole after "Spooky Two"as thats as far as i have investigated their albums...of course i do have the Art album on cd bought many years ago,be great to hear that in remastered sound.......!I only know of their later Island stuff through the Spooky Tooth double cd collection that came out on Esoteric Records!!I wasn't too enamoured with some of the later stuff on that collection to be honest,so that has put me off buying the later Island albums!!!!Am i really missing out on good stuff???Thank you !!

I love the Art album and the first two Spooky Tooth LPs, but after that it's mostly plodding, pedestrian stuff with the occasional decent track (such as their cover of 'I Am The Walrus'). Nine CDs is definitely way too much for me!

I reckon Justin pretty much nailed it there. My thoughts exactly.
The Last Puff was actually a jam session that Mike Harrison organised with his mates that ended up going better than expected so they decided to put it out.
Harrison never wrote any material so once Gary Wright left I think they did even less original stuff.

I like everything up to and including 'Ceremony' Not really heard the others after that so will listen to them first. Isn't 'Last Puff' a post 1974 album (ie not on Island)?

PM

'The Last Puff' was their fourth album, it came out on Island in 1970 and included their version of 'I Am The Walrus'.

Here is a box I would not buy because I don't like this band at all. I feel them heavy in the bad sense: melodies, organ... Never be hung by this prog music.

One of my favourite album of all time is "Smokestack lightning" by Mike Harrison (1972), an average LP for most of the people who listen to it but a real pleasure for me. I do like Harrison's voice: it's why I have been so disappointed by the ambient atmosphere of ST...