Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another French pièce de résistance.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Another psych classic that hasn't been mentioned, although without checking I don't know if they were French or Canadian. Les 5 Gentlemen-LSD 25.
"Dis-nous Dylan" is excellent too. A comp of les 5 Gentlemen is worth having.

They were from Corsica, living in Marseille (south of France). They tried to have a career in England and Italy under the name of Darwin's Theory.

Paul Martin
Les Irresistibles - My Year Is A Day
Le Couer - Bye Bye City
Herbert Leonard - Cher Monsieur Fantasy
Ronnie Bird - Sad Soul / Raining In The City (on a Fading Yellow volume)
Philippe, what do you think?
"My year is a day" was the first single I bought in my whole life (I still have it) so it's definitely one of my "madeleine de Proust" (memory trigger to be less pedantic... ). Music was written by William Sheller, a great pop composer of melodies.

The Ronnie Bird's titles are great too. But for me, it's not so French because sung in English...

"Bye bye City" is excellent. Le Coeur (the heart) was the first band of Pierre Groscolas who had some success with his solo singles in the 70's.

I am not fan at all of Herbert Leonard. Good voice but he did mostly covers and his 80's career is an unforgettable nightmare.

I can't say tit for tat my 5 or 10 favourites songs in French but there will be no surprise: Polnareff, Dutronc, Gainsbourg, "Chimène" by René Joly...

I'll see in a few days how I can transfer the two comps I've done: WeTransfer or else... I am a little bit lost with all this.

Hi Philippe,
I would also love to hear your compilations when ready. The two email addresses I have for you seem to be defunct, so amasking here, thanks in advance!

Regards
Paul

My favourite French track is Asmodai by Tac Poum Systeme. Don't know what they're saying or what it means and its from 1971, but it sounds like a late 60s classic piece of freakbeat.
Also like the Le Couer track and I'm guessing we're only talking French and not French Canadian as otherwise someone would have mentioned the fantastic French Revolution(La Revolution Francaise)-Nine To Five.

As for French Canadian always liked this-

Bruno Leys - Dans la galaxie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlR8T684KyY

Hi Phillippe,

I would be very interested in your comp. I'll even send you some CDRs and postage to Tokyo and whatever the price for lobour (of love) is. Your Pop Perles is was superb I'm a big fan of French chanson.psyche and when I play this stuff in a friend's French restaurant they go all misty eyed but mostly "Ce quoi cette musique?" brilliant
I'd appreciate a copy to spread the word

Hi JJ,

Is that The Residents? on your comp because I noticed Barry Fantoni a part of Frank Zappa's world

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
My favourite French track is Asmodai by Tac Poum Systeme. Don't know what they're saying or what it means and its from 1971, but it sounds like a late 60s classic piece of freakbeat.
Also like the Le Couer track and I'm guessing we're only talking French and not French Canadian as otherwise someone would have mentioned the fantastic French Revolution(La Revolution Francaise)-Nine To Five.[/quote

YES, OUI, OUI, OUAI Tac Poum System is sublime both songs I've heard from ISSS

Just noticed Le Couer single is the opening cut on the Lion Productions comp
Groove Club no 1 La Confisirie Magique.
Will be picking that up next month.

My comps will be ready soon (male is OK, female in progress).

I'll let a message on the forum. I have a Dropbox count so I hope it's OK for other people to download...

I really like the early Ange stuff, quite like F Hardy, Mirelle M & other chanson stuff. I think Piaf 7 her cronies gave French popular music a head start on some other countries.
Phillipe's comp looks interesting, quite a few new ones for me