UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Badfinger - Sing For The Song

All I have is Sing For The Song is on Badfinger Better Days 2 CD's on Whoopy Cat Label(Bootleg)
Badfinger Rarities Volume 1 Bootleg CD on Vigotone Label.

I think the song "Sing for the song" is a bonus track on the 2010 reissue of "Straight Up." I also found it on a CD called Apple Demos I think.

Hiya Joe,yep youre right the song is a bonus track on the "Straight Up" reissue.

It's not on the Jap paper sleeve reissue of 'Straight Up' that I have although that does have a bunch of other bonus tracks

PM

It wasn't on the earlier release, but it's on this "remastered" edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Up-Badfinger/dp/B003XSSR4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423951388&sr=8-1&keywords=Badfinger+straight+up

Thanks Joe, there's several bonus tracks there that differ from the Jap paper sleeve ed which I assume must be an earlier reissue. The bonuses on the paper sleeve edition are:

Money (original version)
Flying (original version)
Name of The Game (origianl version)
Suitcase (original version)
Perfection (original version)
Baby Blue (US Single Mix)

Are the 'original version' tracks, the unissued takes?

PM

Hi Paul, yes that Japanese version is the earlier version of the CD release, the same tracks as the 1990's CD, and those bonus tracks are the earlier takes before Todd Rundgren's got involved I believe, so "Suitcase" is pretty rocking and has the "Pusher,pusher..." lyrics. The U.S. single mix of "Baby Blue" has a slightly heavier snare drum, etc. so those five bonus tracks give you an idea of what the album was going to be like and some of those takes plus some of the songs that showed up as bonus tracks on "No Dice", and a couple that I only have on bootlegs or the 2010 releases seem to comprise what could have been the rejected Apple album. So if the "Sing for the Song" youtube "album" is from a master that would make sense, although it could have been cobbled together as well, I suppose.
Until the 2010 releases "No Good At All," "Baby Please," and "Sing for the Song" were not available on a legitimate CD, and the version of "Name of the Game" with the Al Kooper organ throughout is still only on un-official sources. The version of "Name of the Game" that shows up as a bonus track is the George Martin produced version. Of the three produced versions of "Name of the Game," (the other two being the Straight Up album version and the Al Kooper organ version), the George Martin version might be my favorite.

Thanks again Joe, I'll keep that in mind! On Badfinger generally, their final reunion album 'Say No More' is being reissued as a paper sleeve edition in a set that also includes Joey Molland's 'After The Pearl' 1983 solo album and a 3" CD single of Badfinger's 'Hold On' in Jap only picture sleeve:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221689519399?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not fan of the Molland albm at all, but will get 'Say No More' on its own as a paper sleeve edition. It's More like a power pop album that one. It is also being issued presumably in a jewel case, in UK in early March. I think that's the only 'Badfinger' album that had not been reissued lately as it was reissued orignally in the early 000s I think. 'Head First' is the only one now that has not had a paper sleeve release. That would complete my paper sleeve Badfinger set as I just have the jewel cased version of that one.

PM