UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New cds & DVD

There's also a plan to release a comp of Smoke songs mixed with the band that gave us the reflected glory EP on Bam Caruso- it will be called

"Smoke & Mirrors"

Paul Clarke

Orange Bicycle (CD)
by Orange Bicycle
Original 1970 album plus bonus tracks from original singles.

anything that was not included in the "Let's Take A Trip On An Orange Bicycle: The Anthology" double cd?

Sorry Gian- I don't know that small blurb is all I got.

On a brighter note- the Hep Stars are getting the treatment from Cherry Red-

Like We Used To: The Anthology 1965-1967 - Hep Stars (The)

In the 1960s, The Hep Stars were Sweden’s biggest band – inspiring screams and Beatles-like devotion. For the first time outside Sweden, Like We Used To: The Anthology 1965-1967 collects them at their peak, from being one of the era’s wildest bands – emphasised on the live tracks – to performers of affecting songs with a yearning atmosphere.

• The band’s songwriter Benny Andersson later achieved global fame with ABBA and Like We Used To features classic early compositions, including the first-ever song he wrote. Also collected is a rare early collaboration with his future ABBA companion Björn Ulvaeus – the first song they wrote together.

• Tracks are taken direct from the master tapes as they were meant to be heard in the Sixties – in the original mono. There is no after-the-fact stereo. Exploring the original masters turned up versions of songs either not issued at the time or released in territories beyond Sweden, including three versions intended for, but not used for, English release.

• Like We Used To: The Anthology 1965-1967 complements RPM International’s reissue of The Hep Stars’ 1968 album It's Been A Long Long Time (Retro 935).

• The fully illustrated booklet includes an exclusive interview with The Hep Stars' charismatic frontman Svenne Hedlund. Like We Used To: The Anthology 1965-1967 is essential for any fan of the best music from the Sixties. And also essential for any fan of ABBA.

N.B: This title is released March 23 and will not be dispatched before his date.

Track Listing:

1. FARMER JOHN
2. CADILLAC
3. BALD HEADED WOMAN
4. NO RESPONSE
5. SO MYSTIFYING
6. SHOULD I
7. SUNNY GIRL
8. WEDDING
9. CONSOLATION
10. NO TIME
11. ISN’T IT EASY TO SAY
12. LADY LADY
13. MORNING COMES AFTER NIGHT
14. MALAIKA
15. IT’S NICE TO BE BACK
16. SHE WILL LOVE YOU
17. LIKE YOU USED TO DO
18. CHRISTMAS ON MY MIND
19. CADILLAC (LIVE VERSION)
20. WHAT I’D SAY (LIVE VERSION)
21. SO MYSTIFYING (LIVE VERSION)
22. SURFIN’ BIRD (LIVE VERSION)
23. TALLAHASSEE LASSIE (LIVE VERSION)
24. NO RESPONSE (LIVE VERSION)
25. FARMER JOHN (LIVE VERSION)

Yeh i saw that myself Paul about The Hep Stars anthology,i bought their album"Its Been a Long Long Time"from 1968 which got the cd reissue treatment by RPM a couple of year ago,this is a pretty good harmony pop album.....as from other things i've heard from them,this maybe the best album they did and its recorded in London too and produced by Curt Boettcher assistant Steve Clark,in fact 4 tracks are written by Boettcher!!Worth hearing if you haven't already.I see RPM released The Shanes anthology....anyone get this and would you recommend it??Cheers.

Hi Stuart,

I was in Stockholm some years ago and picked up the Hep Stars (self titled ) lp for cheap at a market- a little worn but for a fiver! I also picked up the same album on cd and King George Discovery and Jackpots. Some great Swedish pop and rock. My Hep Stars cd is now on Amazon for 60euro But the new anthology is listed by several sellers on ebay so it must be out.

I have the Shanes anthology (Swedish version) and If I remember it wasn't that great. I meant to pick up an Ola and the Janglers cd but its now a bit on the dear side!

There was a great little record shop in the old town in Stockholm. It was divided into two shops one for cds and the other for LPs! I wonder is it still there?

That great shop is Got To Hurry and it is still there.

Thanks Jonas - its good to know its still extant

Justin
You always thought wrong then.

Don't be a prick.

I think the fact they wrote the song makes it a reasonable entry into a Smoke anthology.

Biff Skipperty

Don't be a prick.

I think the fact they wrote the song makes it a reasonable entry into a Smoke anthology.

I'd say you're the one being a prick, not me. I was just pointing out that you were wrong.

By that measure, presumably you think that the Rolling Stones recording 'I Wanna Be Your Man' should be on a Beatles anthology? Or the Tremeloes recording 'Blessed' should be on a Simon & Garfunkel anthology? Etc etc.

It isn't a Smoke recording. End of story.

A Day In My Mind’s Mind Vol. 4 - Hurt, Love & Fire (CD)

Long awaited release of volume 4 in this excellent series featuring lost Pop-Psych treasures.

A compilation of heavy psych, pop psych and sunshine pop from New Zealand's psychedelic scene 1966 - 1972.
A Day In My Mind's Mind Volume 4 soars the sonic heights from the heavier side of the Kiwi psychedelic scene before descending into the valley of pop psych and sunshine pop. Like the first three volumes the psych underground scene is explored with landmark recordings and unreleased tracks while paying homage to all involved with extensive liner notes and photos (10 page booklet)...the stories behind the music are just as colourful as the music itself.

27 tracks in all, including contributions from The Avengers, The Brew, Sebastian’s Floral Array, Tom Thumb, The New Zealand Trading Company, The Underdogs, Lew Pryme and many more.

Justin
Biff Skipperty

Don't be a prick.

I'd say you're the one being a prick, not me. I was just pointing out that you were wrong.

By that measure, presumably you think that the Rolling Stones recording 'I Wanna Be Your Man' should be on a Beatles anthology? Or the Tremeloes recording 'Blessed' should be on a Simon & Garfunkel anthology? Etc etc.

It isn't a Smoke recording. End of story.

I come here for fun and discussion, not to be told I'm 'wrong' in such a smug and arrogant manner. So be a good boy and stop being such an irritating little prick.

As for your examples, well it would make more sense for them to be on anthologies of those artists than songs they didn't write.

But unlike you I suspect, I have better things to do than argue the toss over such trival matters with someone who clearly has a bloated sense of their own importance. Toodle pip!

Biff Skipperty

I come here for fun and discussion, not to be told I'm 'wrong' in such a smug and arrogant manner. So be a good boy and stop being such an irritating little prick.

As for your examples, well it would make more sense for them to be on anthologies of those artists than songs they didn't write.

But unlike you I suspect, I have better things to do than argue the toss over such trival matters with someone who clearly has a bloated sense of their own importance. Toodle pip!

Oh dear. You really don't like being wrong, do you? Would imagine from your immature attitude that it happens to you quite often.

I should really make allowances for you, as I'm guessing from your posts that English is your second language. But on second thoughts... nah.

Anyway, bye bye, you little prick. Don't bother coming back until you've grown up a little bit.

Justin
Sorry, I'll try to be a little less irritating, arrogant and smug in the future.

Apology accepted.