UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
(The)Motowns Italian album(71)

I saw that someone mentioned this UK group who released an album, but NOT in the UK.Well if ive read the liners to this cd reissue right this was issued in 1971 in Italy.First thing i have to say is dont let their name MOTOWNS put you off as it aint Motown styled sounds on this rather neat album!!You get some psych moves with fuzzed up guitar like on "Move On Out",acid pop with "Wings of a Bird",nice hammond organ groover on"My Sleeping Lady",heavier psych grooves with"the Eagle", my fave track,the plain old commercial pop of"Back to my Baby",the blissed out"My Kind of Loving"with some yummy guitar parts the psyched out opus"A Trip Around the World"....or maybe just a collage of sound,which is basically what it is,ala The Beatles Revolution 9 from the white album, theres actually 10 tracks on this album which is a worthy addition to any uk pop and psych collection.On first listen i was a bit underwhelmed,but its turned out to be a grower and im so glad i stuck with it,a very enjoyable 37 minutes.To my ears the sound of this group is certainly in the psych era Spencer Davis Group ala "With their New Face On"album mold.High praise indeed but SDG are a fair bit superior to be truthful.Theres also a cracking photo of the band posing with a sitar in gear that looks well before 1971,in fact this could've come straight outta 1968.The sound and the look of the band reeks of that period.
Finally the booklet is filled with picture sleeves and photos and gives you the lowdown of the group.....believe it or not this cd is issued by Particles label.A well wirthy release!!

Re: (The)Motowns Italian album(71)

Lally Stott was a member of this band. Wrote that dreadful song Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. Died young in a motorbike accident.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Lally Stott was a member of this band. Wrote that dreadful song Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. Died young in a motorbike accident.

Hey, I used to like Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep when I was growing up! Though thinking about it, maybe I just liked Middle of the Road's lead singer prancing about in her tight little hotpants!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2102/2315990520_33526ae266.jpg]

Hey, that's understandable Andy. I felt the same about that band Promises-Baby It's You due to the very large hooters the female singer had, which were accentuated by the braces which were stretched across them.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Hey, that's understandable Andy. I felt the same about that band Promises-Baby It's You due to the very large hooters the female singer had, which were accentuated by the braces which were stretched across them.

Just had a look at the Promises video on youtube. Wow! Fantastic knockers. Not sure about her singing, but who cares?!

If we're going down this road lads...Clodagh Rogers on
the cover of the RPM CD looks kinda edible...
Some great music on there too!

They were around already in 1966 and issued an album in 1967 (with mostly covers). My favorite from that era is "L'uomo in cenere", a nice uptempo track with a cool string arrangement.