UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Le Beat Bespoke Vol 6

NEW RELEASE Volume 6, A NUT's production for Detour records featuring rare underground dancefloor fillers from the New Untouchables club scene with bespoke artwork from Pip! Pip! , In this collection arecurrent hits from Dr Robert's DJ set as well as some new discoveries and forgotten gems in some cases compiled for the 1st time ever. This is number 6 of the series, it has just been released (April 2015). CD version has 20 tracks. See track list below: 1. I'm The Man- Jerry Holmes 2. Maybe Later- The Omen & Their Luv 3. Life- Crystal Revelation 4. My Baby's Got Me- Troy Marrs 5. Tiger Dance- Bird And The Bees 6. One Way Ticket- Chris Rayburn 7. It's So Much The Better- Marian Ruxell 8. Freedom- Monica 9. Ladder- Sheephouse 10. Back To My Lady- Perhaps Next Tide 11. People in The Night- The Group 12. It Happened- Paul Martin 13. Poor Poor Genie- Damon 14. Girl In The Future- Paul St. James & The Franky's 15. Rat Race- The Tears 16. Purple Purple- Spontaneous Generation 17. The Expectation- Dutch Masters 18. Temple Of Gold- Samurai 19. No Time to Turn Me On - Catapult 20. The Lesson- The Cords

Re: Le Beat Bespoke Vol 6

Thanks for this, I shall purchase it post haste, love the Beat Bespoke series. I seem to have made a record (track 12) I don't remember making!!

Paul Martin

Available on ebay here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-A-New-Untouchables-Presents-LE-BEAT-BESPOKE-6-CD-mod-garage-northern-soul-/301581551780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4637a948a4

PM

That's why you need a copy Paul. To remember what you recorded. You know what they say, "if you remember the 60's you weren't there"......or something like that......or was that the 70s?

I wanna pick this up asap...had too many outlays recently and find myself in the position of just absolutely not being able to buy a cd at the moment so been playing my way through the rest of the series to console myself and it is brilliant, chock full of real uplifting songs...International, genre melting
and sequenced with a lot of care, very enjoyable indeed..an amazin series with an above average 'killer tune' quota that deserves it's own thread if I had the werewithall.

Yes, I've done that as well, all 5 vols in one go, like you say, very uplifting, fab grooves and positive vibes, and don't we need those these days! Just waiting for Vol.6 to arrive, hopefully today.

PM

Le Beat Bespoke Vol.6
Detour Records CD / LP

This time out, it’s mainly spins from the USA and Belgium, though the enigmatic and elusive Sheephouse hit one for the Brits with another outing for their ‘Ladder’ (and to think that was only a B side!). So, having played this CD for the first time, what’s the verdict?

I think it’s as good as any of the other five volumes but I’ll need a couple more spins to fully embrace the rather more, I won’t go as far as to say eclectic, but less cohesive mix. It’s true that all the cuts do, in one from or another, ‘groove’ in that Mousetrap / Beat Bespoke way. The signature is clearly there, but not as smoothly. If, like me you were a little puzzled by the inclusion (as the kick off track no less) of The Paragons ‘Abba’ on Vol.3 (a Crypt label fave from their Teenage Shutdown series), then there’s more of this here. The first four cuts by Jerry Holmes, The Omen & Their Luv, Crystal Revelation and Troy Marrs, are US garage pop-rockers and are all cool in their own right.

What they have in their favour is that short, stinging guitar solos they all feature really jump out of the speakers. As they used to say about CDs in 1982, it’s just like the band are playing in your lounge! They do also have a swing to them, but being essentially garage, they lack the effortless ride you get with the more studio arranged 45s that listeners will be used to in this series.

As if to underline this, track 5, Bird & The Bees ‘Tyger Dance’ kicks in with all the bells and whistles (well brass arrangements anyway) that power up the dance floor groove you expect to hear. From then on it sort of oscillates between the two sub-styles. I can hear that this will work better when I’ve listened to it all a few more times though.

Also, did you ever expect to hear a record of this type that uses a harp as a rhythm instrument instead of an electric guitar or a keyboard? Well, in Catapult’s ‘No Time To Turn Me On’ you get just that – and it works! I must say both electric guitar and organ (The Group’s lone Farfisa line on ‘In The Night’ is a case in point) on some of these tunes literally leaps out at you! I noticed something similar on the re-mastered version of the Psychedleia box set that particles recently put out. Possibly there’s been some software innovation in re-mastering of late that’s finding expression on these old waxings? If so, I like it! Anyway, a thumb’s up to this set which will appeal as much to garage rock fans as dance floor habitués.

PM

Hi

Good to see the new Beat Bespoke is out - but looking at the digital version on iTunes and Amazon, I find it has only 17 of the 20 tracks listed both in this thread and on the New Untouchables website.

The missing tracks are: 13. Poor Poor Genie- Damon, 15. Rat Race- The Tears, 20. The Lesson- The Cords.

Can anyone with the CD confirm that these tracks appear there? - if so, I'm going to sidestep the digital version

Andy

Hi Andy,
Yes, those three 'awol' digital tracks are on the CD, all 20 tracks are present and correct on the CD edition.

PM

Hi Paul, I was thinking the same thin about the Paragons track myself only last night...there's a few other inclusions
that leave me scratching my head a little.
To be honest I think some of the slightly more crude sounding garage tracks let this series down a little, but they're quite few and far between on the first five volumes and they have so many of those great bells & whistles anthemic groovers.
I noticed these are mastered really loud, louder than anything else I have, but like you say they don't half deliver a punch.
I picked up the Psychedelia box myself after hearing your opinion on the remastering and I have to agree it sounds way
better.

Thanks, Paul - CD for me, then