UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Collected Works of Robin Gibb-1969-70

This treble cd looks well interesting.......heres some blurb from Spin cds website:

‘Saved By The Bell – The Collected Works of Robin Gibb: 1969-70’ captures the entire musical output of Robin Gibb at 19 years old, over a 12 month period from 1969 and 1970. For a brief period at the beginning of 1969, after the release of the Bee Gees ‘Odessa’, the Gibb brothers entered a period of solo output, led by the release of Robin’s single Saved By The Bell which shot to #2 in the UK Singles Chart.

This extensive 3 disc set features the critically acclaimed hit solo album ‘Robin’s Reign’, rebooted to include nine alternate takes and full-length versions, as well as the previously unreleased and much sought-after ‘Sing Slowly Sisters’ album, which comes exactly 45 years after it was recorded. Disc three ‘Robin’s Rarities’ completes the collection with 23 alternate takes, demos, BBC sessions and unissued songs including Janice, Alexandra Good Time (the original withdrawn flipside of Saved By The Bell), Robin’s fascinating orchestral tribute to Scrooge – Ghost Of Christmas Past – and the moon landing – Moon Anthem.

This brilliant new set - including 46 rarities and unreleased tracks - is a unique insight into the genius song-writing talent of this much loved and greatly missed globally renowned artist.

Re: The Collected Works of Robin Gibb-1969-70

I shall enjoy having all these in one set, nice. Here's the track listsing

PM

DISC 1: ‘Robin’s Reign... Plus’

1. August October (stereo)

2. Gone Gone Gone (stereo)

3. The Worst Girl In This Town (Stereo)

4. Give Me A Smile (stereo)

5. Down Came The Sun (Stereo)

6. Mother And Jack (Stereo)

7. Saved By The Bell (stereo)

8. Weekend (Stereo)

9. Farmer Ferdinand Hudson (Stereo)

10. Lord Bless All (stereo)

11. Most Of My Life (Stereo)

Bonus Material

12. One Million Years (Stereo) †

13. Hudson’s Fallen Wind †

14. Saved By The Bell (Mono)

15. Mother And Jack (Mono)

16. One Million Years (mono)

17. Weekend (mono)

18. August October (mono)

19. Give Me A SMILE (MONO)

20. Lord Bless All (Alternate take) †

DISC 2: ‘Sing Slowly Sisters – Sessions’

1. Sing Slowly Sisters †

2. Life †

3. C’est La Vie, Au Revoir †

4. Everything Is How You See Me †

5. I’ve Been Hurt †

6. Sky WesT And Crooked †

7. Irons On The Fire †

8. Cold Be My Days †

9. Avalanche †

10. Engines Aeroplanes †

11. The Flag I Flew †

12. Return To Austria †

13. It’s Only Make Believe †

14. All’s Well That Ends Well †

15. A Very Special Day †

16. Great Caesar’s Ghost †

17. Anywhere I Hang My Hat †

18. Loud And Clear †

19. Return To Austria (Demo) †

20. WHY Not cry together (DEMO †

DISC 3: ‘Robin’s Rarities’

1. Alexandria Good Time †

2. Janice †

3. Love Just Goes †

4. August October “Agosto Ottobre” (Italian) †

5. One Million Years “Un Milone De Ani” (Italian) †

6. Saved By The Bell (BBC) †

7. Robin Talks With Brian Matthew (BBC) †

8. August October (BBC) †

9. Weekend (BBC) †

10. Give Me A Smile (BBC) †

11. Robin Talks With David Wigg (BBC) †

12. The Band Will Meet Mr. Justice (Demo) †

13. The People’s Public Poke SONG (Demo) †

14. Indian Gin And Whiskey Dry (Demo) †

15. The Girl To Share Each Day (Demo) †

16. Come Some Halloween Or Christmas Day (Demo) †

17. Heaven In My Hands (Demo) †

18. Most Of My Life (Demo) †

19. Goodbye Good World (Demo) †

20. Down Came The Sun (Demo) †

21. Don’t Go Away (Demo) †

22. Moon Anthem – Robin Gibb Orchestra & Chorus †

23. Ghost Of Christmas Past – Robin Gibb Orchestra & Chorus †

Well interesting indeed Stuart.
Never heard this album...I'm on this as soon as I can afford it.
Thankee kindly.

thanks for the heads up stuart just pre ordered my copy

Coo, I want
Could also be titled Best Of.. Later stuff is poop in my humble

Just thought i would say that this collection is released Monday,this looks a very interesting release,i notice it says box set,so i wonder if it'll be in a clamshell box?Och im pretty excited as its ready to dispatch from Amazon,hopefully get early in the week........i have Robins Reign cd from many years ago,sometimes his vibrato voice can irritate a little,but this release has been longly anticipated by myself.....i just hope it aint an anti-climax,i wonder if Rhino will ever get round to doing The Beegees years of 1970-73,similar to the first 3 UK albums and the brilliant boxset of Odessa....magic!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Stuart,
Yes, please do report back on this set, especially how it's packaged. Being Rhino / Warner I expect it will be an eight panel digipak but card sleeved in a clam box or slip case would be good. As long as it's not a thick plastic jewel case!

PM

Paul, Some images of said packaging.

http://beegeesfanfever.blogspot.ie/

Excellent! Thanks a lot for that Niallox. A very tasteful and plastic clip tray free 8 panel slip in digipak. I'm 'avin' that right now!

Paul

Looks good!
Mine was dispatched on Sunday, but I should consider myself lucky if it arrives for the weekend. It will be worth the wait though...

And I'm with you Stu - I keep checking the Rhino site to see if there's any news on continuing the deluxe edition treatment for the early 70's albums. I wonder what the hold up is?
I thought the first four sold fairly well... or maybe I'm mistaken?

Mark - a post on the Super Deluxe Edition website on this might explain it:
PM

'The reason why we’re not getting any more Bee Gees vault material is this: Robin Gibb was the prime mover behind the archival projects(though Andrew Sandoval was the actual compiler). After Robin passed away, Barry(who is adamantly opposed to the release of vault material) asserted himself. And why is Barry opposed? Who knows? Perhaps to have the vault material as a bargaining chip when launching the next multimillion dollar licensing deal when Warner Music’s 10 year license expires….in 2016. But it appears that the Bee Gees recordings won’t immediately be removed from Warner Music, but that, instead, recordings will be licensed to Warner Music on a project by project basis. Warner Music took an extreme monetary loss on the 2006-2016 $10 million deal. And there are only two other conglomerates where Barry (and the two estates) can take the recordings. Neither Warners, Sony or Universal will pay substantial amounts of money without vault material. I have mixed feelings about having to criticize Barry Gibb, having met the man roughly a dozen times in 2003 & 2004, and I also met Maurice once'.

Well i just got this set,its beautifuly put together,very much like the Beegees cd set,cracking booklet,cracking photos and many snaps of record sleeves,in all a great tribute to a talented fellow,who seemed to love his anguished balladry,as theres lots of that on here.It was great to at last hear a very clean and excellent sounding"Sing Slowly Sisters"after years of horrendous sounding boots of it,the orchestration could be in your living room its that good,more anguished songs going on on this album,while listening i kept saying if only he wrote some more lively upbeat stuff for this unreleased album and to be honest across this set.....thats my only grumble.........as on a whole this is a blooming good set of 3 cds and at a very reasonable price too.But after listening to cd 2 and 3,i had to have a break as my hanky needed squeezed out from all the tears and theres some tear jerking songs on here,but i must admit the orchestration throughout is marvellously beautiful........but I want to give Robin a shake and shout CHEER UP MATE!!!!!!!!!!
Theres some interesting use of a drum machine on a lot of the rarities disc like he used on Robins Reign album,which kinda dates some of the songs.Robins Reign is all i've got to listen to now...but not yet...i can imagine this being a tough listening experience if you want to listen to all 3 discs in a oner!!The BBC sessions are a nice touch and i enjoyed them the most on the Rarities disc.In an interview with Robin he states that his songs are little stories,and that are just what they are...little stories.

Robin Gibb,this is a great tribute to the early compositions of yours,a great all round package,you should be proud.....

stuart. thanks for the review. sounds just up my street. i love robins ballads.

Paul Martin
Mark - a post on the Super Deluxe Edition website on this might explain it:
PM

'The reason why we’re not getting any more Bee Gees vault material is this: Robin Gibb was the prime mover behind the archival projects(though Andrew Sandoval was the actual compiler). After Robin passed away, Barry(who is adamantly opposed to the release of vault material) asserted himself. And why is Barry opposed? Who knows? Perhaps to have the vault material as a bargaining chip when launching the next multimillion dollar licensing deal when Warner Music’s 10 year license expires….in 2016. But it appears that the Bee Gees recordings won’t immediately be removed from Warner Music, but that, instead, recordings will be licensed to Warner Music on a project by project basis. Warner Music took an extreme monetary loss on the 2006-2016 $10 million deal. And there are only two other conglomerates where Barry (and the two estates) can take the recordings. Neither Warners, Sony or Universal will pay substantial amounts of money without vault material. I have mixed feelings about having to criticize Barry Gibb, having met the man roughly a dozen times in 2003 & 2004, and I also met Maurice once'.

Thanks for that Paul, it's a a shame really. But here's hoping that SDE is correct in the assumption that when the contract expires next year we might see a new Re-Birth of Brilliance.

I think the packaging looks really nice, but there is a lot of complaining on the Steve Hoffman Forum about it... thin stock and tearing when the CD's are removed seems to be the major gripe. I'm hoping the negativity is from those with thick, clumsy fingers.

LOL, Me too! I made the mistake of ordering my copy on Tuesday this week from an ebay seller who only sends orders out once a week - on a Monday! Still, I'll see how clumsy or deft my fingers are by the middle of next week I suppose! On a brighter note I just took delivery of my half-price Fotheringay set from an Amazon courier, so a nice Sunday.

PM

Nope ive got wee fingers and i have been told from a female friend that theyre not clumbsy either(ooer missus) and the bit that the cd slips in and out has come away already at the seems,not been glued down very well,so im making a diy job of sticking it back together,but apart from that its a nice looking package with good liners etc.....i just hope the rest holds up a bit better.

i received mine yesterday. yes the cds are a bit of a tight fit. have only played cd2 so far. robin was certainly prolific at that time.

wow. theres certainly a lot of songs to get through.

I've finally got my copy as well (mid-week, but I'm just listening to 'Robins Reign... Plus' as I type.
Very, very pleased with this set so far - fantastic sound quality, even better than I had hoped for. And the songs themselves are (again), even better than I had hoped for! Almost everything will be new to these ears, and so far only 'One Million Years' is familiar to me. Happy man am I...

And as far as the packaging? I really like it! Yes, the discs are quite secure in the sleeves, but by applying a little pressure to the top and bottom I find they slide out easily with no damage done... so far ;)