Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New 3 CD folk set on Grapefruit - 'Dust On The Nettles'

Delivery

Details

 Cherry Red imprint Grapefruit is proud to announce the release in June of the 3CD various artists anthology Dust On The Nettles: a journey through the British underground folk scene 1967-1972.

 With 63 tracks and a total running time of just under four hours, Dust On The Nettles examines the metamorphosis that British folk underwent during the late 1960s, when the influence of psychedelia and the counterculture saw the idiom being twisted into all kinds of new and exotic shapes, as the finger-in-the-ear folk clubs of yore were inexorably drawn into a brave new world of Arts Labs, free festivals and the nascent college/university circuit.

 Our anthology incorporates the various overlapping strands of the underground folk scene: the acid folk experimenters, the folklorists and trad song updaters, the more metaphysical element of the burgeoning singer/songwriter genre, the newly-electric folk rockers, the elemental paganism exemplified by Comus and The Wicker Man, even the early 1970s Jesus music movement that spawned the likes of the sitar-wielding Parchment.

 Balancing the familiar with the obscure, we feature acknowledged brand leaders like Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band, Pentangle and Steeleye Span alongside acts who made music purely for the local communities that nurtured them: Shide & Acorn on the Isle of Wight, Folkal Point in Bristol, Music Box in Coventry, Chrissie Quayle in Cornwall. We incorporate a large number of recordings that weren’t issued at the time, sample impossibly rare albums by the likes of Oberon, Dry Heart and Benjamin Delaney Lion, and feature key recordings from a number of bands who underpinned the thriving live scene of the era.

 Housed in a clambox featuring a lavishly illustrated and annotated 36-page booklet, the painstakingly-assembled Dust On The Nettles is surely the most comprehensive and wide-ranging anthology to appear thus far of the UK underground hippie folk movement of the late 1960s/early 1970s.

More from this Artist

Product details
Track listing
Delivery

DISC ONE

1. LET NO MAN STEAL YOUR THYME – The Pentangle2. WILLOW’S SONG (FROM THE WICKER MAN) - Magnet3. COME ALL YOU TRAVELLERS - Wight4. LOVE IS A FUNNY THING - Spirogyra5. IMAGES OF PASSING CLOUDS – Gary Farr6. PEEK STRANGELY AND WORRIED EVENING - Synanthesia7. GLASS OF WATER – Bob & Carole Pegg8. WINTER IS BLUE – Vashti Bunyan9. WINTER IS A COLOURED BIRD - Comus10. THE SEAGULLS SCREAM – Chrissie Quayle11. STORIES OF JESUS – Clive Palmer12. AMANDA - Steve Peregrin Took’s Shagrat13. CURIOUS CRYSTALS OF UNUSUAL PURITY - Bridget St. John14. ROSES FOR COLUMBUS – Mark Fry15. TILL THE MORNING COMES – Dando Shaft16. BLACK GIRL – Mary-Anne17. THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY - Trees18. WEIRDSONG OF BREAKING THROUGH AT LAST - Principal Edwards Magic Theatre19. MINAS TIRITH – Oberon20. PRISONERS, VICTIMS, STRANGERS, FRIENDS – Paper Bubble

DISC TWO

1. PILGRIM – Gerald Moore2. RIVER LANE – Melton Constable3. WAY OUT HERMIT - Moonkyte4. ALL THINGS ARE QUITE SILENT – Steeleye Span5. UPON REFLECTION - Heron6. LOVE IS COME AGAIN - Parchment7. STARGAZER – Shelagh McDonald8. THERE ARE NO GREATER HEROES - Tony Caro & John9. VISIONARY MOUNTAINS – Joan Armatrading10. GLOW OF THE FIRELIGHT - Tuesday11. SEARCHING FOR LAMBS – Warm Gold12. SAMANTHA CAROL FRAGMENTS - Benjamin Delaney Lion13. FOTHERINGAY – Fairport Convention14. YOU KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE – Frozen Tear15. MEANWHILE BACK IN THE FOREST - Hunt Lunt & Cunningham16. FIRST GIRL I LOVED - The Incredible String Band17. HALFDAN’S DAUGHTER – The Moths18. THE MUTANT – Trader Horne19. MEETING BY THE MOONLIGHT MILL – Dry Heart20. HIGHWAYS (MISTY MIST) - Tyrannosaurus Rex21. GABILAN – Duncan Browne22. SAND ALL YELLOW – Kevin Coyne

DISC THREE

1. GARDEN SONG – Bill Fay2. MUSIC OF THE AGES - C.O.B.3. A SONG FOR THE SYSTEM – Everyone Involved4. THE COLOUR IS BLUE – Country Sun5. SILENT VILLAGE – Wild Country6. WELCOME TO THE CITADEL – Marc Brierley7. THE EVIL VENUS TREE - The Occasional Word8. STANDING ON THE SHORE – Anne Briggs9. KIND SIR - Agincourt10. EAGLE – Mick Softly11. ROSEMARY HILL – Fresh Maggots12. THE HAPPY KING – Music Box13. ME AND MY KITE - Fuchsia14. WIZARD SHEP - The Sun Also Rises15. SCARBOROUGH FAIR – Folkal Point16. PRISONER – Marie Celeste17. PATRICE – Simon Finn18. GIRL OF THE COSMOS – Shide & Acorn19. ELEGY TO A DEAD KING - Chimera20. SILENCE RETURNS - Beau21. ORANGE DAYS AND PURPLE NIGHTS – Mother Nature

Re: New 3 CD folk set on Grapefruit - 'Dust On The Nettles'

Yeh i saw this Painterman,it sounds as if it could be similar in style as the 3 cd box Grapefruit released a couple of year ago with"Love Poetry and Revolution"which i thoroughly enjoyed even though i had a lot that was on it.............well the same with this box set,a few things ive never heard so looking forward to hearing those,but as a whole looking at the tracklist and by the description of it ,particularly the liners which hopefully sounds more like a book with its 36 pages...which "Love Poetry And Revolution"had too.So in the long run me thinks we could be excpecting a rather good and nifty release!!!!
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Painterman!!!!

Yeh i saw this Painterman,it sounds as if it could be similar in style as the 3 cd box Grapefruit released a couple of year ago with"Love Poetry and Revolution"which i thoroughly enjoyed even though i had a lot that was on it.............well the same with this box set,a few things ive never heard so looking forward to hearing those,but as a whole looking at the tracklist and by the description of it ,particularly the liners which hopefully sounds more like a book with its 36 pages...which "Love Poetry And Revolution"had too.So in the long run me thinks we could be excpecting a rather good and nifty release!!!!
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Painterman!!!!

This looks very interesting. Really pleased to see it includes the private label Frozen Tear single, which I tried to buy on ebay a year or so ago but the bidding went too high (think it sold for something like £450 in the end). A great track, moody psych folk with sitar and quite a sinister atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trFl6Gcajx4

Beautiful! glad Fuchsia are in, just a pity I didn't know it before, I could have suggested a track from the Michael-Claire lp, like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=104&v=GwaUry6jQXY

It's a nice album still too little known... :(

Also Peregrine and Hot Potato are missing... and many other, maybe there is room for a second volume in the future :)