UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pilot-Magic??

I just thought i would put this out there,this group came from Edinburgh which made me interested in their albums,i have ordered the first album on cd"From the album of the same name"from 1974,the hit "Magic"came from this album and the other big hit they had was the song"January"which came from the follow up album"Second Flight".....now i was thinking that those 2 songs are perfect pop numbers ,so i wanted to hear an album of theirs to see if they could fill an album with those perfect pop songs.Im actually looking forward to hearing that cd i ordered.....but can anyone give any comments on this groups stuff??I love both "Magic"and"January" which 40 years after their release are still being played on the radio,which imo is a testament to how good those songs are.Always interested in local groups made good.Thanks for any comments if any at all.....lol!!!!!

Re: Pilot-Magic??

Nothing to do with Pilot Stuart. I always found them a bit radio friendly middle of the roadish,but hey I've never listened to the albums and only know them from the singles, so I'm probably being harsh.

Now if we're talking Sottish bands, does anyone come close to the mighty Poets?
They should have been big. Up there with The Action for bands who inexplicably didn't make the big time.

I used to have the Pilot albums. They were a really good pop band, but for that reason their singles ('Call Me Round' and the great 'Just A Smile' as well as 'Magic' and 'January') were also the best tracks on their albums. But everything they did was of a good standard.

There's a good As, Bs & rarities CD you can pick up cheap as well (been sampling it on Amazon). I remember watching them on Top of The Pops and numerous 'on the sofa' interview magazine programmes at the time. I always thought 'Magic' at least, sounded like it could have been an ELO number. Play it back to back with 'Mr Blue Sky' for instance. They were a good pop band who probably are only remembered for those two big hits but deserve a better hearing.

PM

Probably also worth mentioning pre-Pilot band Christyan, who released the great 'Nursery Lane' single (as featured on a volume of Mixed Up Minds) in early 1972.

Well i received the Pilot cd today,well what did i think on first listen?I really enjoyed it,fab pop writers that for sure,songs full of hooks and fab arrangements,real good 70s pop and a consistent good standard is maintained throughout the album.So many good songs but the track"Lovely Lady Smile"is just a fab piece of romantic lyriced pop with some lovely flute and strings to add to the mix....but honestly theres many highlights to be had.This has made a real pleasant change to hearing my beloved psych,this will get played a fair bit im sure,So are Pilot Magic?Yes i think so on this listen.....but what to do about the follow up album?Do i buy that cd too?Or is there a risk of being disappointed after having enjoyed this one so much!!!So proud they came from Edinburgh.....thanks very much guys!!!!!!!!