Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kaleidoscope 7 inch

Nice looking but pricey at £10.99
2 track single

With every passing decade since Kaleidoscope's demise, the band’s recorded legacy has continued to rank amongst the most highly prized artefacts that define the psychedelic genre. Their seminal debut album from 1967, `Tangerine Dream` is now considered to be one of the finest examples of English psychedelia with original copies of this album fetching in excess of £1000. Similarly 1969’s heavier edged follow-up ‘Faintly Blowing’ and 1970’s ‘From Home to Home’ are also fetching hefty sums.
The two tracks on this 7" are unreleased alternative mixes from the band`s own personal archives that have laid unheard for over 45 years – that is until now! Discovered only recently in in a dusty corner of lead singer Peter Daltrey's attic (along with some original stage costumes) Peter explains how he acquired these now priceless artefacts:
"After a long day-and-into-the-night recording at the Philips/Fontana Studio No 1 at Marble Arch, the band would request acetates of the day`s work to listen to at home. Dick Leahy (Philips/ Fontana 60's A&R Legend) was always involved in the arrangements and instrumentation of each track in consultation with us. So at the end of the session, the engineer would dub down a mix of the track for us and then overnight we would go away and listen to the arrangements which (although almost always in mono) still gave us a fair idea of what the finished track would sound like. At the next session we would then pow-wow in the control room with a chain smoking Dick and come to an agreement on changes for overdub embellishments that might be required. Thus these acetates were an invaluable tool in helping us hone and craft each track and refine the Kaleidoscope Sound!"
Both tracks collected here:`Black Fjord` and `If You So Wish`, have been taken from the band`s widely lauded second album: 'Faintly Blowing' and feature the first 'new' material that has surfaced from the band in close on 25yrs.The version of `Black Fjord`features a band in the full throws of sonic experimentation with the vocals heavily drenched in reverb giving the impression of a band recording in some gigantic cathedral-like echo chamber!!

Re: Kaleidoscope 7 inch

£10.99? I'd want an album for that!

Is this now going on general release? This was done for Record Store Day. Of course, none of them made it over to my little neck of the woods here in the US!

Scott, if you browse on Heyday m/o and espcially www.spincds.com, there's a whole host of RSD vinyl for sale, all the copies that didn't sell on the day I would imagine. Although for the Kaleidoscope vinyl it says it is a pre-order released on 25th May. That might just be the date they expect to receive the overstock though.

http://www.spincds.com/unreleased-mixes-double-sided-7-fold-out-sleeve-blue-vinyl

Search 'record store day 2015' on eBay as well and some even on Amazon and there's stuff there's well. I suppose labels issue more copies of RSD titles these days as it has grown into more of a media covered event.

PM

Peter Daltrey says that nearly 500 (numbered between 040 and 499) of the singles went walkabout and didn't make it to R Day. They have been recovered & Peter posted this on FB -
"Dear All...thanks for your support through this debacle. We have yet to see the package so don't know the condition of the discs. More news to follow as we get it. For now please reorder from your independent local record store. All being well you will now get your copy. Better late than never, eh...? Story of my life................."

Not been told where they went, holidays maybe?