UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soft Rock Suggestions

Hello all. This is a bit of a weird one but I'm attempting to make a 60's/70's soft rock/pop comp for my friend. You see, he's in a soft rock band and he's looking for some inspiration so I told him I'd put together a comp of some of my favorite, not so well known tracks to try and help him out. Apparently, one song that he's really into right now is Man Of The World by Fleetwood Mac and he's looking for anything else that may come close to sounding similar to that.

I've only just started compiling and I've listed below some of the tracks I've picked so far. Now, if you notice, all of these songs aren't necessarily soft rock and it's quite a mixed bag stylistically. I guess what I'm looking for is mostly mellower songs, preferably with a moody vibe(I like moody) with good pop sensibilities or just really good melodies. Oh, and if they venture into psych or prog territory, all the better!!! Also, if you happen to know any songs that have a similar sound or feel to that Man Of The World song, my friend would be very grateful.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you could help me out with some suggestions.

Selfishly, I'm also hoping to discover some great new music from you wonderful people so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Richard

My list so far:

Billy Nicholls - White Lightning
Billy Nicholls - Winter Rose
Billy Nicholls - Gypsy
The Hollies - Wings
Keith West - Liet Motif
Keith West - On A Saturday
The Moon - Life Is A Season
The Moon - Pirate
The Moon - Transporting Machine
The Moon - Come Out Tonight
Peter Sarstedt - Blagged
Peter Sardtedt - As Though It Were A Movie
Gordon Haskell - Upside Down
Smile - Earth
Vaughan Thomas - Woman In The West
Vaughan Thomas - Say That I'm On Your Mind
The Flame - Dove
Lindisfarne - Lady Eleanor
Alan Hull - Breakfast
Master's Apprentices - Because I Love You
Fleetwood Mac - Dragonfly
Fleetwood Mac - Albatross
Kevin Ayers - Eleanor's Cake (Which Ate Her)
Pagliaro - Lovin You Aint Easy
Pagliaro - Some Sing Some Dance
Pete Dello - It's The Way
Roger Rodier - My Spirit's Calling
Gandalf - Can You Travel In The Dark Alone
Colin Blunstone - Exclusively For Me
Colin Blunstone - A Sign From Me To You
Colin Blunstone - Every Sound I Heard
Key - The Farmer and The Fisherman
Gerry Morris - Plenty Of Time
Richard Twice - If I Knew You Were The One
Cartoone - Knick Knack Man
Papoose - Marie Song
Fairfield Parlour - Aries
The Tremeloes - By The Way
Bee Gees - Sweet Song of Summer

Re: Soft Rock Suggestions

Cripes! There are so many possible inclusions here I don't know where to start. LPs by John Bromley and Tony Hazzard are both nice soft pop/rock efforts with sike shadows lurking. The Honeybus LP is a soft pop/sike delight. One 45 I've just been listening to and certainly fits the bill and may be similar to the Mac song is Values by Peter, but there are loads of one-off 45s that could qualify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxAmr8l_Wc

Re: Soft Rock Suggestions

If you want moody, Bill Fay's 'Screams In The Ears' is moody to the point of Morose in extremis! Maybe it's 'Man Of The World' at the after-gig party!

PM