UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Write Hear' - the new eZine!

I just wanted to update everyone on the mooted RZ eZine. I have decided on a title which is:

‘Write Hear’

As far as I could determine from a random web search, there isn’t anything else called that, or at least not with that spelling.

I feel this speaks to the ‘zine’s intended agenda of encouraging writing from people (as in 'write here') and also describes what the ‘zine is about (writing about music) without tying it to a narrow focus, which gives us a lot more scope to expand and explore.

It’s not SFA Mk2 as I stated before, but I do want to emulate that august organ’s ethos that any and everyone should feel free to contribute and to keep roughly within the same time frame but I don’t want to make that an absolute. I also want to keep elements that SFA did so well with the ‘In From The Cold’ and ‘Discography’ sections. They won’t be called that of course, but I want to acknowledge and doff my cap to them here.

As I write, there are a couple of pieces outstanding from contributors that I am waiting on before forming up the first (though hopefully not only) edition. I am fortunate to have been offered layout and design skills by a professional graphic designer and RZ reader, Richard Vaughan. He is going to give everything a little visual flourish.

I’m hoping to get the first issue out by the end of June, and it will be uploaded to my drop box a/c, the link for which I will post here. With the graphics and inclusion of high res pictures, it would not be practical to email it out as in the days of yore with the SFA.

So thank you everyone who has contributed and has offered to do so for the next issue. If everyone who reads it spreads the DB link around their social media etc, we will hopefully pick up readers beyond RZ and hopefully contributions for future issues.

But as I said, I want especially to encourage people who may normally not write much beyond an email or a text to have a think and get in contact if you have an idea for writing something, especially if it is drawn from your own experience and / or knowledge. Or maybe have a go at writing a review of a new release you really like or an appraisal of a favourite album etc. Having worked in adult eduaction for many years (and been an adult sudent myself), I know how hard it can be to make that first step, but also how rewarding it can be, so don't be shy!

Lastly, for this debute issue, I would like to put out a call for listings. If anyone is in a band, DJs at weekends, wants to plug a festival, gig, or whatever, preferably as of July, let me know so I can add it in. Also, if anyone wants to have a bash at reviewing a new or recent release, please do so and email it in within the next two weeks.

Remember, I intend this to be a project that turns readers into writers, so it is truly an exercise in collective ownership of what goes in it.

PM

PM

Re: 'Write Hear' - the new eZine!

P.S -
I wouldn't be averse to conributions of short poems or verse etc on a relevant topic. If anyone feels more visually inclined, graphics, computer-art or any visual concoction that you feel might have a place in the zine would be welcome submissions.

PM

Thanks for doing this Paul, I'm looking forward to it...
Oh, and I like the title you've chosen - nice play on words and quite fitting.

Thanks for that Mark

Paul

Yes, thanks Paul for going above and beyond the call of duty to do this.

great title paul good luck with this venture

Yes Paul many thanks for taking the incentive and doing a thing like this,i thought i would never see a webzine again,im really looking forward to reading the first issue,so many thanks Mr Martin....i must apologise for the lack of writing from my side,but hopefully i'll get my arse in order and put pen to paper....or finger to keyboard in the form of some cd reviews soon,maybe not for this issue but the second issue!!As for the title "Write Here",great play on words mate,i really like it!Good luck!!Im sure it will go down a treat!!

Like the title and am really looking forward to this,Paul!

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone!

Paul