UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Family-What Next?

I'd put "Bandstand" up pretty high, though. There's nothing "psych" about it, but I like it a lot and listen to it as much as the first two. "A Song for Me" and "Anyway" I listen to less. I think the first is the best by a slight margin. The only Family album I really found pretty bad was the "It's Only A Move" album, which is quite dull. "Bandstand" is one of the essential three, in my opinion.

I think their only other album I really love is Fearless, different from the others but still well above average

I forgot about that one. Yeah, that has a couple of things on there I liked and it's not a bad record. I might have to give that a spin soon!

Roger Chapman's straining, gravelly voice on the track Blind from Fearless gets me every time. Love it.

I agree with you about Family, but for me Spooky Tooth peaked when they met Pierre Henry with Ceremony - like Jesus Christ Superstar's satanic twin with added disturbing noises.

Fearless has some good songs. Sort of "folkier" sound, in a way, by which i mean i notice acoustic guitar more that electric, and more keyboards, horns or other stuff than scraming guitar. It's actually "jazzy" in a good way. It is kind of a weird album as noted above, but interesting. It stumbles around a bit but I am enjoying it. One song sounds like they whirled around a plastic tube until it made a sound.