UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thin Lizzy

I just wondered what you guys thought of Thin Lizzy,i've been spinning the self titled debut from 1971,and im surprisingly enjoying it very much,i have been ignorant of this group since i heard the dreaded "Whiskey in the Jar"and the other thousand times its been played by lazy djs on the radio and old bbc footage!!!Look past that track and you have a pleasant surprise......this debut album is pretty rockin(tho it does have its quieter numbers) and at times Hendrixian(a lazy description)Its rather good early 70s rock mmmaaannn!!!!Next up is"Shades of a blue Orphanage"(72)which actually features Clodagh Simonds from the excellent folk rockers Mellow Candle playing mellotron and harpsichord,this cd is the remastered one with 9 bonus tracks and a real nifty booklet!!The cd i have of the debut album aint the remstered cd ,but a cd that was released in the early days of cd from 1989,ive just ordered the remastered cd at the groovy price of 3 quid from Amazon.Im hoping this remastered cd sounds good!!!This debut album is well worth a punt.

Re: Thin Lizzy

I always liked TL. I think their debut is somewhat different from their albums thereafter. Haven't Light In The Attic recently reissued that album, is that the newly remastered one? I have fond memories of 'rocking out' to Thin Lizzy as a young pre-punk teenager. Thin Lizzy were one of those rock bands that could have hit singles as well as hit albums, appealing to both pop and rock audiences. This is a characterstic of early-mid 70s rock bands like Status Quo, Nazareth, TL etc.

PM

i stood next to a life size bronze of phil lynot in Dublin only the other week fabulous city some of the music played in the pubs is also superb

I remember years ago queuing up for a gig at a venue in Camden Town (Music Machine?) and Phil Lynott being two or three people ahead of me in the queue. Can you imagine Mick Jagger et al doing that? Even then? A fond memory.

I remember going to many a good party in my youth where the Jailbreak album was on high rotation. Always loved the dual lead guitar work of Robertson and Gorham.

I too have have my photo taken next to the Phil Lynott statue in Dublin Mr One Shed.