UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Collected Works of Robin Gibb-1969-70

I've finally got my copy as well (mid-week, but I'm just listening to 'Robins Reign... Plus' as I type.
Very, very pleased with this set so far - fantastic sound quality, even better than I had hoped for. And the songs themselves are (again), even better than I had hoped for! Almost everything will be new to these ears, and so far only 'One Million Years' is familiar to me. Happy man am I...

And as far as the packaging? I really like it! Yes, the discs are quite secure in the sleeves, but by applying a little pressure to the top and bottom I find they slide out easily with no damage done... so far ;)

Well i just got this set,its beautifuly put together,very much like the Beegees cd set,cracking booklet,cracking photos and many snaps of record sleeves,in all a great tribute to a talented fellow,who seemed to love his anguished balladry,as theres lots of that on here.It was great to at last hear a very clean and excellent sounding"Sing Slowly Sisters"after years of horrendous sounding boots of it,the orchestration could be in your living room its that good,more anguished songs going on on this album,while listening i kept saying if only he wrote some more lively upbeat stuff for this unreleased album and to be honest across this set.....thats my only grumble.........as on a whole this is a blooming good set of 3 cds and at a very reasonable price too.But after listening to cd 2 and 3,i had to have a break as my hanky needed squeezed out from all the tears and theres some tear jerking songs on here,but i must admit the orchestration throughout is marvellously beautiful........but I want to give Robin a shake and shout CHEER UP MATE!!!!!!!!!!
Theres some interesting use of a drum machine on a lot of the rarities disc like he used on Robins Reign album,which kinda dates some of the songs.Robins Reign is all i've got to listen to now...but not yet...i can imagine this being a tough listening experience if you want to listen to all 3 discs in a oner!!The BBC sessions are a nice touch and i enjoyed them the most on the Rarities disc.In an interview with Robin he states that his songs are little stories,and that are just what they are...little stories.

Robin Gibb,this is a great tribute to the early compositions of yours,a great all round package,you should be proud.....

stuart. thanks for the review. sounds just up my street. i love robins ballads.