UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RURAL PROG

came across this term which i hadnt heard before bands such as genesis,and caravan were lumped under it anyone else come across this term?

Re: RURAL PROG

It's a sellers term to try and get people to buy country tinged Band wannabe early 70s dullness. I know to avoid if I see it in a description (like Xian) so it is useful in that sense. I can't see how either Genesis or Caravan would qualify in any way.

Seen that term a few times, but for bands like Northwind or Shape Of The Rain for example, not for Caravan for sure

Rural can also mean "country" in the strictest landscape-y way - not just UK prog bands influenced by a touch of US country music.

In that laid-back country sense, the first Genesis lp and Stagnation from the Trespass lp might just qualify.

Some rural bands: O Band, Quicksand, Chestnut Oak, Parlour Band....

lps that I have NOT heard described as being rural, but are to my ear (sans any US-influence whatsoever):
Amazing Blondell - the concept one (I forget title)
Strawbs - Dragonfly
most of Lindisfarne's output
Magna Carta - first & Seasons

Would Canterbury count as 'rural'? Maybe that's why Caravan are there? Genesis - perhaps the cover art for Selling 'England By The Pound' or 'Nursery Crimes' is pastoral enough to qualify it? Gabriel was given to miming the mowing of grass as well on stage! Perhaps we could have a competition for the most tenuous link between a seller generated musical description and what's actually being sold?

PM

First off, unless someone can prove otherwise, I don't believe the term rural was used much when describing the sound of American bands of early 70s. This was strictly for UK bands.

One reason for this is super obvious: the definition of UK bands influenced by AMERICAN music, specifically in this case prog bands "softened"/ "laid-back" by taking on Americanisms.

But "rural", to Wallace at least, is much like the "Krautrock" term in that it has two (at least) DIFFERENT interpertations : Kraut can be "motorik" or the direct opposite, "Kosmiche".
Rural can mean 1/ influenced by US or 2/ - and here Paul used the best word - simply "pastoral". Gentle.

An example of 1/ would be HOME "Pause for a Hoarse Horse" (so completely different from their two other lps.

Example of 2/ would be the aforementioned Seasons lp by Magna Carta (very "English-sounding")

Now, to get to Caravan and whether Canterbury can be linked to rural...I think distinctly...no.

In simplest terms, Canterbury simply meant bands origionated from the Canterbury, Kent area.
So Caravan would certainly qualify. As to this specific "Canterbury sound", well I dont want to get into THAT at this juncture except to say:

first 4 or so Caravan lps are deemed "canterbury". (After "Girls who go Plump" , with Waterloo Lily they started bringing in the jazz elements.) Myself, I do NOT see them as the conventional canterbury sound but I can see how Paul would class them there: it all comes down to the PLAYFUL lyrics and DISTINCT LAID-BACK VOICE OF VOCALIST SINCLAIR.
Canterbury may be very complex rock, but one of its signatures is that it does not take itself seriously.(Even though Egg/Arzachel do not have much by lyrics, the whimsical track titles alone frame this as "canterbury" for some.)

It may be complex, difficult to play, but -and a good example here is Camel - it deludes us into thinking it floats lightly and is nigh-effortless (bliss).

Now: linking canterbury to the pastoral idea of rural....I think not.

In defining a musical genre, for one to go simply down the lyrics road, would be anal. It all comes down to the musical composition.
A parameter of "canterbury" is that, like RIO, it is quirky-jerky/quick-changing in composition. The opposite of one's idea of pastoral.

Some people on here are taking this way too seriously. As Biff Skipperty said above, "rural prog" has always been a sellers term applied in an attempt to shift country rock-inclined early 70s UK albums - Northwind, Ro Ro, Roger Morris, Heads Hands & Feet etc. The first time I really saw it being used was in the late 80s/early 90s, when the leading mail order rare record lists (Paul Major, Greg Breth, Plastic Factory, Talcy Malcy at Funhouse etc) were trying to get decent prices for albums that wouldn't have sold if they'd been accurately described as country rock.

As for Wallace's claim that "rural rock" wasn't used for early 70s US bands: not true. Take a look at Paul Major's old lists and you'll see plenty of lightweight early 70s US obscurities described as rural rock.

Andy C

As for Wallace's claim that "rural rock" wasn't used for early 70s US bands: not true. Take a look at Paul Major's old lists and you'll see plenty of lightweight early 70s US obscurities described as rural rock.

Aye. You are correct.

So bloody much of that rock scene - Creedence Clearwater, The Band... - was "rural"-sound that it must have been like saying the sky is blue. And at that point pop was swinging more into singer-songwriter music - also heavily tinged with rural. Think Denver,James wotsit, etc.

Andy C
Some people on here are taking this way too seriously. As Biff Skipperty said above, "rural prog" has always been a sellers term applied in an attempt to shift country rock-inclined early 70s UK albums - Northwind, Ro Ro, Roger Morris, Heads Hands & Feet etc. The first time I really saw it being used was in the late 80s/early 90s, when the leading mail order rare record lists (Paul Major, Greg Breth, Plastic Factory, Talcy Malcy at Funhouse etc) were trying to get decent prices for albums that wouldn't have sold if they'd been accurately described as country rock.

Northwind, Ro Ro, Parlour Band, Shape Of The Rain were not country rock bands to my ears, I've always thoght to them talking about "UK rural rock". HH&F, Quiver, Cochise, Hookfoot (at the beginning) were really more country oriented
Pastoral to me were Magna Carta or the likes, pop folk bands influenced by Simon & Garfunkel sound

If someone described "the Dog that Bit People" album as "rural prog", I'd probably agree with that description.

are the Wurzels ''rural prog''?

Often referred to as "Pastoral Prog"

Quicksand - Home is Wheere I Belong
Parlour Band - Is A Friend ?
Northwind - Sister , Brother , Lover

to name but a few ...