UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Hollies

Just wanted to say i have been really enjoying the new 5 cd set titled"Changin' Times",to hear this era of the group for what has been a first listen to some of it has been surprising,i sorta didn't expect it to be enjoyable as much.Though i did enjoy the first 3 cds in particular.The Hollies are becomg a real fave of mine,this is a splendid accompaniment to the earlier box set The Nash Years!!That is just terrific and magical all the way through.Anyone else get this??

Re: The Hollies

Glad you are enjoying it Stuart. I have the Japanese mini LP CD sets of their albums that go right up to about 1974 with the same music on. This budget box is a good companion to the Nash years one as you say. I think it shows that although they had to accommodate Nash's absence by re-jigging their harmonic arrangements, the quaity of the songs, for the times they were then in, did not suffer. I think a song like 'The Baby' for instance also shows a lyrical maturity.I really like this period of The Hollies as much as the earlier one, you just have to hear it in context.

Albums like 'Hollies Sing Hollies' and 'Confessions Of The Mind' are excellent period peices but don't get the same kudos, maybe now they will. 'Distant Light' and 'Romany' are also very good period albums for their time but again suffer from the 'they were always better with Graham Nash' syndrome. Thing is, if Nash had still been with the Hollies at this stage, these are pretty much whatthey would have been singing anyway I feel, even if the harmonies would be a bit different. This new post-Nash Hollies set is definitely worth your investigation if you like the early 70s sounds as well as pop sike.

PM

Re: The Hollies

thanks for the heads up stuart just ordered it by the way paul im working just round the corner of your gaff hope you got all you music chained up mate