UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Ultimate Acid Dreams Collection (5CD Box Set)

Just saw this on Spin. I'm assuming it's a Particles clam shell box with card sleeved CDs. if they've remastered it like the 'Psychedleia' box, it will be worth getting.I like the idea of having all the cuts on those 'Acid' LPs in one attractive digital place as well.

PM

The Ultimate Acid Dreams Collection

‘US Psychedelic Punk’

The Ultimate Acid Dreams Collection;

5 CD Box New Sealed

• 5 CDs • Over 90 rare acid punk tracks

• 32 page full colour booklet with rare photos, detailed biographies and full discographies.

In 1979 a Berlin Record shop issued Acid Dreams a compilation of American psychedelic garage punk in a simple op-art sleeve design pressed in an edition of only 77 copies that disseminated amongst hard-core collectors. It was inspired by the Nuggets compilation that appeared on Elektra in 1972 but dug much deeper into US ‘60s pop culture than even that brilliant double LP set had dared to venture. Its emergence was only slightly predated by the first Pebbles compilation which had appeared in Australia the year before.

Acid Dreams was an instant classic. It defined the perfect garage psych compilation and went on to spawn sequels over the following decades. These included Acid Dreams Testament, Acid Dreams Epitaph (both on compact disc) The Return of Acid Dreams, the triple LP set Acid Dreams, and the last vinyl instalments Acid Dreams Volume 2 and Acid Dreams Volume 3. Confusingly these albums bore not only similar album titles but often duplicated tracks between them whilst adding new ones.

Now, 36 years after that first volume, every recording that has ever been issued under the banner Acid Dreams has been brought together on thisThe Ultimate Acid Dreams; a 5CD collection that captures the sound of frustrated ‘60s American youth in its rebellious glory, either revved upon on teenage angst, high on LSD and marijuana or all three at once… enjoy!

This long-awaited 5-CD box set compiles all five volumes of this legendary 1960s US acid punk compilation series. Featuring many legendary 45s, some of them worth upwards of a thousand dollars apiece, it is presented here with remastered sound and a deluxe booklet including background notes and rarely-seen pictures, making it an essential addition to any psych connoisseur’s collection.

Re: The Ultimate Acid Dreams Collection (5CD Box Set)

This looks interesting Paul. I've got a couple of vinyl issues but it would be good to see them altogether. Might try and find the tracklist.

Track listing Delivery
DISC ONE

1. The Balloon Farm Question Of Temperature

2. The Music Machine You'll Love Me Again

3. The Painted Faces Anxious Color

4. Velvet Illusions Velvet Illusions

5. The Unrelated Segments Cry Cry Cry

6. The Outcasts Set Me Free

7. Murphy & The Mob Born Loser

8. The Sparkles No Friend Of Mine

9. The Painted Ship Frustration

10. Mouse & The Traps Maid Of Sugar, Maid of Spice

11. Macabre Be Forewarned

12. The Calico Wall I'm A Living Sickness

13. Velvet Illusions Acid Head

14. White Lightning William

15. The Outcasts 1523 Blair

16. The Zakary Thaks I Need You

17. The Painted Ship Little White Lies

18. The Swamp Rats Louie Louie

19. The Unrelated Segments It's Unfair

DISC TWO

1. The Shy Guys Black Lightning Light

2. The Bourbons A Dark Corner

3. The Mind's Eye Help I'm Lost

4. The Stereo Shoestrings On The Road South

5. Zakary Thaks Can You Hear Your Daddy's Footsteps

6. The Caretakers Of Deception Cuttin' Grass

7. The Remaining Few Painted Air

8. Teddy & His Patches Suzy Creamcheese

9. Indian Puddin' & Pipe Hashish

10. The Rogues Train Kept A Rolling

11. The Shag Stop And Listen

12. The Fabs Dinah Wants Religion

13. The Crystal Chandelier Suicidal Flowers

14. Larry & The Blue Notes Night Of The Sadist

15. Phil & The Frantics I Must Run

16. Richard Alvey & The Green Fuz Green Fuz

17. The Electric Prunes Vox Wah-Wah Commercial

18. The Regiment My Soup Won't Float

19. Godfrey & Friends Let's Take A Trip

20. The Keggs To Find Out

DISC THREE

1. Beaux Gens She Was Mine

2. The Elite My Confusion

3. Soul Inc. I Belong To Nobody

4. The Driving Stupid Horror Asparagus Stories

5. The Journey Men She's So Sorry

6. The Tree No Good Woman

7. The Satyrs Yesterday's Hero

8. Phil & The Frantics Till You Get What You Want

9. The Alarm Clocks Reason To Complain

10. Yesterday's Children Wanna Be With You

11. The Grodes Cry A Little Longer

12. The Spades We Sell Soul

13. The Avengers Open Your Eyes

14. The Dearly Beloved Flight 13

15. The Preachers Who Do You Love

16. The Sweet Acids Creature

17. The Wilde Knights Beaver Control

18. The Split Ends Rich With Nothing

19. The Beautiful Daze City Jungle

20. Faine Jade It Ain't True

DISC FOUR

1. The Little Bits Spoofin’

2. Kandy Kolored Konspiracy One Million People

3. Red Crayola Hurricane Fighter Plane

4. Cellars Look Out Now

5. The Undertakers Searching

6. Astral Projection Rosa Lynn

7. Owen B Mississippi Mama

8. The Invicta Way What Am I To Do?

9. The Humane Society Eternal Prison

10. Majority One Get Back Home

11. The Survivors Midnight Mines

12. The Muffetts Lost

13. Tomorrow’s Keepsake Eat Your Hot Dog Boy

14. Twas Brillig Dirty Old Man

15. Black River Circus A Ritual Melody

16. Lemon Fog Summer

17. Kindred Spirit Blue Avenue

DISC FIVE

1. Los Belmonts No Creas En La Mujer

2. Charlie Brown's Generation Fast Retreatin' Female

3. The Regents Worryin' Kind

4. The Skunks Don't Ask Why

5. The Flower Power You Make Me Fly

6. The Stained Glass A Scene In Between

7. The Purple Haze Shades Of Blue

8. The Growing Society The Red Fuzz

9. A Little Bit Of Sound Incense And Peppermints

10. The New Life Ha Lese (Le Di Khanna)

11. John Does One Kind Favor

12. The Flower Power Sunshine Day

13. The New Arrivals Let's Get With It

14. Fox & The Roadrunners Illusions Of A Party

15. The King Biscuit Entertainers Take My Thoughts Away

16. Unrelated Segments Where You Gonna Go?

17. The Vejtables Shadows

Interesting that they've included The Majority-Get Back Home. Obviously didn't realise they were English.

Thanks for that Greg.

PM

hey there,

I guess that Particle is once again the label in disguise behind this box. It's just astonishing to see the total lack of care they put into their releases... the blurb above regarding this Berlin shop story and the limited 77 copies release is just plain BS. Ad to this that Pebbles was never an australian release, that AD was never an instant classic, and that The Return of Acid Dreams is not a sequel, but the exact 1982 reissue of the original 1980 Acid Dreams release. I'll stop there, there's so many errors in that blurb, every line would deserve a correction. Those of you that have lurked on the garage G45 forum some years ago may have read the story of Acid Dreams I posted there, as things happened. The funny thing is that I'm currently trying to uncover some last details, and that the thread devoted to the catalogues and lists, that showed up on the board at the same time, would be of great help for me... more there.
sylvain

Hi Sylvain,
I assume the track lists at least are correct? Do let us know when your book is available, I'd love to read it. Your dedication to compilation LP research is admirable and long standing, so I doubt anyone else will surpass what you end up with. It's interesting how much ink has (rightly) been spilt on researching original 60s records but how casually their compilation history is treated. The guy who started the compilation index that now appears on the Ugly Things website is the only real attempt to gather the titles in one place. The actual history of them doesn't really go beyond the 'it started with Nuggets then Pebbles, Boulders Rubble, Back From The Grave' sort of linkage. That so many of the vinyl comps were boots or grey area at best and issued in such small numbers does not lend itself to finding accurate information, but does lend it self to apocraphal tales and legends, which I guess in themselves are interesting just in howe they emerged. But I digress. Good luck with the research Sylvain and keep up the good work. If anyone is going to get compilation history into some kind of order and in print, you are the guy to do it.

Paul

HI Paul, and thanks for your words. Sure, this comp book is a long time project of mine, goin on and off and on, depending on the free time I can devote to this... this requires sometimes hundreds of hours trying to find out who's been doing what and getting the details behind. Really a labour of love, as this thing, if it ever sees the light, will probably interest 100 people in the world ! Things are going slowly but surely, let's see what happens !

Does anyone know much of discs 4 & 5. Not much on there I'm familiar with.

those 2 discs are dubbed from the Acid Dreams vol.2 and Acid Dreams vol.3 comps from the late 90s. OK stuff, but far from the classics featured on the original album, that somehow defined the "acid punk" back in the early 80s. The trilogy you need if you wanna get the essentials in this vein is:

- Acid Dreams
(the stand alone LP from 1980, impossible to score today, but available as the Past & Present reissue. You gonna get some muddy sound quality on this reissue, but at least you aren't gonna get the skips that pollute most if not all copies of the "Return of Acid Dreams" represses from the 80s and 90s)

- Psychedelic Disaster Whirl
Equally good and equally essential. One of the guys behind is a figure of the reissue universe, but for some reason always kept a low profile regarding this comp. Don't think it's been reissued on CD, but any of the 2x400 original pressings are still easy to come by today

- Pebbles vol.3
the first comp that ever showed up in the field (1979), but also the less essential of the 3... despite that it's still a very good comp.

Thanks for the info Sylvain.
I have the Acid Dreams lp that comes in a clear plastic sleeve with track insert. Is this the original?
I also have a copy of Psychedelic Disaster Whirl, which unfortunately was not quite centred properly so consequently sound somewhat wonky.
Agree about Pebbles 3. It has some fantastic tracks, but there are also a few duds as well.
There's too many comps to mention of course but another couple of favourites of mine are Off The Wall and The Chosen Few.

> I have the Acid Dreams lp that comes in a clear plastic sleeve with track insert. Is this the original?

not the original pressing, but the original track listing, indeed. The problem is that all those represses (which are actually all boots done needle-drop from the original 1980 release) have skips... The Past & Present repress has a lousy sound quality, but at least does he correct those skips problems. Acid Dreams still deserve a proper reissue.

>I also have a copy of Psychedelic Disaster Whirl, which unfortunately was not quite centred properly so consequently >sound somewhat wonky.

that means that your copy is probably a bootleg. This comp was bootlegged twice, in the US and in Germany. Both boots are done the cheap way, and are direct copies of the original pressings, which sound pretty great. Those boots are usually non numbered. Get a copy with a black or blue marker numbering on the front and you're guaranteed to have an original, good sounding, copy.

>There's too many comps to mention of course but another couple of favourites of mine are Off The Wall and The Chosen >Few.

Sure, 2 classics. Those 2 comps are actually those who blew Tim Warren's mind, and gave birth to the Back From The Grave series

Years ago I got flacs for the Psychedelic Disaster Whirl compilation.
Very good quality and a nice addition to the original comp., which was difficult to get hold of in Europe.
I found my copy at Midnight in NY in 1988.

Original Psychedelic Disaster Whirl
01 Plague - Face of Time
02 Perpetual Motion Workshop - Infiltrate Your Mind
03 Quiet Jungle - Everything
04 Last Knight - Shadow of Fear
05 Human Expression - Optical Sound
06 Thee Sixpence - In The Building
07 Children of The Night - World of Tears
08 20th Century Zoo - You Don't Remember
09 Scorpio Tube - Yellow Listen
10 Inexpensive Handmade Look - What Good Is Up
11 Starlites - I Can't See You