UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UFOria! Comp?

I was looking through some old SFA's and I came across a compilation that I seem to have missed the first time around. The following was taken from SFA #7 - does anyone know if the below comp was ever released? One track that I'm particularly interested in is Gun's cover of River To Another Day. I absolutely love the Love Sculpture version and I can't find anything mentioning Gun's version on the interwebs. I need to hear it!

UFOria! 20 BRITISH PSYCH & POP TREASURES - VOLUME ONE(Beriberi Archives) CD Comp

KEITH MEEHAN-Darkness Of My Life
YEMM & THE YEMEN-Black Is The Night
JON BEST-You're My Kind Of Girl *Decca Acetate
GUN-River To Another Day *
MELODY FAIR-Much More Than That *
[UNKNOWN]-Perfume *
MERSEYS-Niagara Falls *
MARTELLS-Time To Say Goodnight *
BENT FRAME-Don't Be Surprised *
MIKE PROCTOR-Mr. Commuter
PHIL CORDELL-My Lady Love (USA release)
[UNKNOWN]My Life *
THE SHELL-In The Souk (French release)
JUNCO PARTNERS-Lion's Roar *
SHERE KHAN- No Reason
[UNKNOWN]-Space Plane *
SHE TRINITY-Yellow Submarine
LEVIATHAN-Flames
CAT STEVENS-A Bad Night
MICROBE- Groovy Baby
* denotes unreleased material
NICE, very nice! Loads of unreleased demos and only a couple of tracks comped elsewhere (and in poorer sound quality).The highlight is the long-discussed but highly dubious "Gun" cover of Love Sculpture- very close to the original, but rougher-edged. Martells is a nice, late period RGM Production. The Shell is a weird pseudo-eastern instrumental. Shere Khan is the unfairly neglected B-Side of 'Little Louise'. Cat Stevens has a great OTT kitsch-en sink Mike Hurst production. The Microbe is an odd-pop/whacky/novelty piece. Jon Best is akin to Great Uncle Fred- Cossack-style pop, which sounds quite like DD,D,B,M&T on Black Bombers!!! Mike Proctor is great- and now a club fave. 'Space Plane' is not the David McNeil song. It's a (European?) Hammond and fuzz instrumental, with jet engine sounds a la 'Back In The USSR'. Yemm has long been an SFA-favourite. Leviathan is superb of course, as are all of theirs. Bent frame is a keyboards-to-the fore ballad which is like Part 2 of 'It's Only Me'- a dead-cert for same recording session.'Perfume' sound like library music, albeit self-consciously/contrivedly "trippy"- mellotron and flute, it reminds me of an early 70s hair-spray ad! The 'unknown' demo 'My Life' is nice mod/freakbeat with feedback guitar and a bendy ending. "Junco Partners"-??? Hmmm, good, but what is this really? Merseys is nice, mod-gone-odd. Phil Cordell never sounded this bendy (unless on the fantastic 'Red Lady'), but 'My Lady Love' is hippie dippy popsike par excellence, with phased drums and the merest whiff of backwards guitar- "Her hair shines golden in my eyes/With the rhythm of her gentle sighs/ Oh, how the time flies/When I'm with my lady love..." Sure does, man.
Another superb underground compilation, with tons of unknowns to satisfy even the most demanding and snobbish of psych-heads. (Jon Kerr)

Re: UFOria! Comp?

Yuk! Bent Frame, Gun and Cordell inedits would make my day too!

So.. not even Paul Martin does know anything about this? Was it a fake release?

No, can't recall this one ever emerging. There was a comp one time that required those who wanted it to convincingly say why to the compiler. That never got issued I think. Not sure if this ws it though.

PM

So has any of this unreleased stuff since turned up on later comps?