UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Graham Bond

Any thoughts on Graham Bond people?

I have Love is the Law which is excellent but he also recorded other l.p.'s in the U.S. (I think) and two(?) for Vertigo. I am familiar with The Graham Bond Organisation but heavy blues isn't really my thing. There is a new BBC set - see below. Is his later stuff as psych as LITL?

Live At The BBC & Other Stories (Remastered 4CD)
by Graham Bond

 4 CD set
 42 Remastered tracks.
 Over 4½ hours of music
 BBC tracks sourced from the archives
 Bonus material with previously unreleased and very rare recordings
 Authoritative liner notes by Pete Brown
Assembled by the same successful team that worked on the critically acclaimed ‘Wade in the Water’
box set.
The ultimate Graham Bond collectors’ item, with all the unreleased BBC recordings, plus numerous
bonus tracks that include ultra rare and private recordings made available for the first time ever, and
a hard to find EP.
The set contains Graham Bond's entire BBC output - under his own name and featured with other
acts.
More of Graham's award-winning saxophone playing than previously available on any set in the
market.
Features an amazing 1962 hour-long jam session from Manchester's Club 43.
Compiled and produced by Pete Brown (Cream’s lyricist and long-time Graham Bond associate and
co-performer).
Remastered by Pete Brown and Jon Astley (George Harrison, Led Zeppelin, The Who & many others).
EXPERTLY REMASTERED. SUPERB SOUND. THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS!

CD 1 Graham Bond Quartet with Bobby Breen.BBC Jazz Club, 25th April, 1963.

1. Bluesology2. I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town3. Hello Little Girl4. Spanish Blues5. Wade In The Water6. Hallelujah I Love Her So7. Every Day I Have The BluesGraham Bond: vocals and Hammond organ.John McLaughlin: guitar. Jack Bruce: double bass.Ginger Baker: drums. Bobby Breen: vocals.George Melly: announcer.Duffy Power with the Graham Bond Quartet. 19638. I Saw Her Standing There9. I Got A Woman10. Summertime11. Hallelujah I Love Her SoGraham Bond: Hammond organ. John McLaughlin: guitar. Jack Bruce: bass.Ginger Baker: drums.Duffy Power: vocals.Don Rendell Quintet with guest Dick Heckstall-Smith . ‘Jazz Session’, 19thSeptember, 196212. Things Are Getting Better13. Elsie And Ena14. Richmond Festival15. Kelly Blue16. Troika17. Kazeef18. Persian PartyDon Rendell: tenor and soprano saxophones.Graham Bond: alto saxophone.Dick Heckstall-Smith: tenor saxophone.Johnny Burch: piano. Tony Archer: bass. Ted Pope: drums. Steve Race:announcer.

CD 2 Graham Bond Organization‘Jazz Beat’, 22nd January, 1966

1. Wade In The Water2. Only 163. When Johnny Comes Marching HomeGraham Bond, Hammond organ, vocals.Dick Heckstall-Smith, saxophones. Mike Falana, trumpet. Ginger Baker, drums.Humphrey Lyttleton, announcer.Bond and BrownBBC Radio Birmingham, 23rd March, 19724. Macumbe5. Milk Is Turning Sour In My Shoes6. Beak SuiteGraham Bond: vocals, Hammond and electric piano.Pete Brown: vocals and percussion. Diane Stewart: vocals and percussion. DelisleHarper: bass. Ed Spevock: drums. Pete Drummond: Announcer.Graham Bond and Dick Heckstall-SmithHome tape 19627. ImprovisationGraham Bond: alto saxophone.Dick Heckstall-Smith: tenor saxophoneDick Heckstall-Smith Band - Demo 19728. Moses In The BullrushhoursesGraham Bond: Hammond and vocals.Dick Heckstall-Smith: saxophones. (Others unknown).Graham Bond OrganizationLive 1966/79. What'd I Say?Graham Bond: Hammond and vocals.Dick Heckstall-Smith: saxophones. Jon Hiseman: drums.Graham Bond InitiationLive 1969/7010. Wade In The WaterGraham Bond: Hammond organ, alto saxophone and vocals. Keith Bailey: drums.

CD 3 Graham Bond Initiation BBC ‘Top Gear’, 31st January, 1970.(Maida Vale).

1. Walkin' In The Park/ I Want You (Segue)2. Wade In The Water3. Love Is The LawGraham Bond: Hammond organ and vocals.Diane Stewart: congas and vocals. Dave Usher: flute, tenorsaxophone, guitar. Nigel Taylor: bass.Keith Bailey: drums. John Peel: announcer.Graham Bond InitiationBBC John Peel Sunday show, 22nd March, 1970.(Paris Theatre, London).4. Love Is The Law5. Magic Mojo Blues6. The World Will Soon Be Free7. Wade In The WaterGraham Bond: Hammond and vocals.Dave Usher: flute, tenor saxophone.Nigel Taylor: bass. Keith Bailey: drums.Kevin Stacey: guitar. John Peel: announcer

CD 4 The Graham Bond Quartet From the EP ‘Jazz with a Twist’, 1962

1. Things Are Getting BetterGraham Bond: alto saxophone. Brian Dee: piano.(Possibly Malcolm Cecil: bass and Tony Mann: drums).Graham BondOut-take from album ‘Love is the Law’, USA 1967.2. Blew ThroughGraham Bond: keyboards and saxophone.Hal Blaine: drumsGraham Bond with Ken Wray and the Joe Palin Trio.Manchester Club 43, 1962.Rehearsal/jam session3. Sack O' Woe4. Mack The Knife5. Work Song6. Oleo7. Things Are Getting BetterGraham Bond: alto saxophone. Ken Wray: valve trombone. Joe Palin:piano. Bill Brown: bass. Dave Edwards: drums.

Re: Graham Bond

I've got the 'Wade In The Water' 4xcd set but couldn't get past the first two discs in that, just rather generic repeats of pretty standard blues. I know there's two versions of 'You've Gotta Have Love Babe' (see Piccadilly Sunshine, Part 9, track 18 or as always, Youtube)on one of the second two discs, which for me is a standout track, so I should persevere with those I think.

The BBC stuff, I would imagine, unless you are a fan or a Mod, is most useful or interesting archivally. A 1962 hour long blues jam? Not sure I need that though if Bond wigs out on the Hammond B3 I guess it would be well worth hearing. Looks like CD3 would be the only keeper here if you're into his later stuff. I would be interested in opinion on some of this material as I love the Hammond B3 and Bond was one of its most respected players. I can quiter imagine that on some of the jazzier live stuff he might really show why - but I am anxious about it being rather turgid or generic again (no disrespect) after the Wade In The Water experience.

PM

Paul, I'm a big Graham Bond fan and loved the Wade in the Water box set. If you didn't listen past the first two discs you missed Ginger Baker's first vocal which is on disc 3, I believe. I'll be ordering the new box set but as you said, disc 3 is probably the only one with his later stuff on it. The rest will be jazz and rnb.

Hi - a bit off topic but my brother has about 20 original photos of Graham Bond (and Clem Cattini and 3 unknown girls)) at Eel Pie Island. very nice look like having a picnic ! I will see if he send scans but is precious of such things.
Best, Eggy