UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Georgie Fame box set

Writing about Graham Bond reminded me that Georgie Fame has a complete recordings 1963-66 box set upcoming:

http://www.spincds.com/box-sets/electric-ladyland-1991-the-classic-new-york-broadcast-cd-46625

Nothing psyche obviously, though his groovy fuzztone take on 'Somebody Stole My Thunder' (from I think 67-68?) is pretty cool. I'm potentially interested in this box, but again not overly familiar with a lot of the stuff on it. Any fans or familiars who could offer opinion?

PM

Re: Georgie Fame box set

I'm a big Georgie Fame fan and have the new box set on order. I have pretty much all the songs but there are a few that have not been released before. Aside from his 45 releases, the set, which contains his first four albums is more jazz oriented.

Any of ya heard the shortlived group Georgie Fame was in called Shorty who had an album released in 1970 only in the states....i have it as it was reissued by Revola(a strange issue for them i thought)its actually pretty good and as rock as Georgie Fame would get!!An interesting curio for Georgie Fame enthusiasts!!

Stuart, I came across that album as a cut out in 1972. Very little info on Georgie at that time, especially in Canada so I had not even heard of it. I think it's a great album; I listen to it fairly regularly. The song,'Saskatchewan Sunrise' is a favourite. Although written by a Brit (a train heading east across the prairies does not pass by lots of houses and towns) I always pictured it in the context of a train leaving Calgary (where I live) going east and hitting Saskatchewan (next province to the east) as the sun comes up. 'Somebody Stole My Thunder' is fantastic. Actually I like all the songs on the album.