UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Secrets feat. Clifford T Ward Singles on Grapefruit

Cliff Ward (subsequently better known as Seventies singer-songwriter Clifford T. Ward), Worcestershire-based band the Secrets (a.k.a. Simon’s Secrets) released a glorious rush of witty, vibrant, hook-laden, sub-three minute pop nuggets between 1966 and 1968.
 Five singles emerged during this Swinging-London-into-psychedelia timeframe, while a whole host of equally impressive, locally-recorded demos cut at the same juncture remained on the cutting-room floor for several decades.
 Infatuation gathers all of these singles, alternative versions and works-in-progress group recordings to provide a fascinating document of an outfit who never quite achieved the commercial success that they deserved.
 The release features half-a-dozen previously unissued recordings, including hitherto unknown-to-exist Ward songs ‘Poor Johnny’ and ‘Looking Down The Glass’. It also includes two versions of his song ‘Path Through The Forest’, subsequently turned into a UK psych classic by the Factory.

1. INFATUATION
2. I THINK I NEED THE CASH
3. SHE’S DANGEROUS
4. SUCH A PITY
5. NAUGHTY BOY
6. I KNOW WHAT HER NAME IS
7. KEEPING MY HEAD ABOVE WATER
8. I SUPPOSE
9. SYMPATHY
10. I INTEND TO PLEASE
11. PATH THROUGH THE FOREST
12. WHAT A NICE SURPRISE
13. THE GLORIA BOSOM SHOW
14. I’LL KEEP ON CLOSING MY EYES
15. LOOKING DOWN THE GLASS*
16. THE SAME APPLIES TO YOU
17. TEACHER
18. COATHANGER (demo version #1)*
19. NAUGHTY BOY (demo version #1)*
20. THE SESSION SINGER (demo version)
21. THE MULE
22. POOR JOHNNY*
23. SYMPATHY (demo version)*
24. I KNOW WHAT HER NAME IS (demo version)
25. KEEPING MY HEAD ABOVE WATER (demo version)
26. COATHANGER (demo version #2)
27. NAUGHTY BOY (demo version #2)*
28. PATH THROUGH THE FOREST (demo version)

Re: The Secrets feat. Clifford T Ward Singles on Grapefruit

Im just wondering if there's a lot of this on the marvellous double cd released by David Wells label wooden Hill. That is what I thought would be all the secrets /simons secrets recordings there was on that but this could prove me wrong..
.well I'm hoping anyway. I see it's being released on the psych label grapefruit records glad to see cherry Red are going to keep that label. Great stuff!!!!!!

There's just a small handful of cuts on this Grapefruit set that do not appear on the Woodem Hill 2x CD set as far as I can tell and they are:

What A Nice Surprise
Looking Down The Glass
Naughty Boy (demo #1)
Naughty Boy (demo #2)
Coathanger (demo #2)
Poor Johnny
Sympathy (demo version)

PM

Paul Martin
There's just a small handful of cuts on this Grapefruit set that do not appear on the Woodem Hill 2x CD set as far as I can tell and they are:

What A Nice Surprise
Looking Down The Glass
Naughty Boy (demo #1)
Naughty Boy (demo #2)
Coathanger (demo #2)
Poor Johnny
Sympathy (demo version)

PM

and... on the reverse what is on the Wooden Hill cd and not here? Many thanks Paul!

The Wooden Hill CD is a double and has 57 tracks on it, so too numerous to list!

Full details / tracklist here Gian

http://www.discogs.com/Clifford-T-Ward-Path-Through-The-Forest-The-Secret-World-Of-Clifford-T-Ward-1964-71/release/3824882

PM