UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Piccadilly Sunshine - the box set!

It's run by an idiot, but the compiler is cool.

If the compiler is cool, why doesn't he use some better tunes instead of all the mediocre stuff that's on every volume?

If the compiler is cool, why doesn't he use some better tunes instead of all the mediocre stuff that's on every volume?

I have to agree with Andy here - the whole series feels dragged out to me- in truth I only bought a few volumes as I didn't feel it was worth the price for 2 or maybe 3 tracks that I half liked! Strangely a boxed set would therefore appeal to me as I don't have too much of the series.I haven't checked recently but ebay used to have a few sellers of these type of cds who sold them as auctions where you could pick cheap.

Andy C

Such as? Do you have a secret stash of unknown unreissued UK pop psych nugget 45s under your bed Andy? Please give us a tracklist at least of your proposed 'better tunes' alternative series. Tell us, what amazing comps have you put out recently?

The fact is, people should know what to expect from PS by now so whinging about it seems pretty lame. Just don't buy the fucking things. If you think you could do better, go for it. If you believe nobody should ever try to put together another UK 60s 45s compilation ever again because Tintern Abbey, Factory et al are already out there, that's fine, PS is obviously not for you.

Biff Skipperty
Andy C

Such as? Do you have a secret stash of unknown unreissued UK pop psych nugget 45s under your bed Andy? Please give us a tracklist at least of your proposed 'better tunes' alternative series. Tell us, what amazing comps have you put out recently?

The fact is, people should know what to expect from PS by now so whinging about it seems pretty lame. Just don't buy the fucking things. If you think you could do better, go for it. If you believe nobody should ever try to put together another UK 60s 45s compilation ever again because Tintern Abbey, Factory et al are already out there, that's fine, PS is obviously not for you.

Looks like we've found the idiot compiler. If you're happy compiling/buying shit, that's up to you. For what it's worth, I "don't buy the fucking things". I tend to spend my hard-earned on things that in my opinion have some merit - which leaves out PS. But even so, this is a discussion board. If you don't like being criticised, don't read it.

I have absolutely nothing to do with PS and I adore criticism, but I get tired of unbearably smug no-marks sniping from the sidelines when they do fuck all themselves. It is very easy to do and not achieving anything at all. If you don't buy it, how do you know there is "mediocre stuff on every volume"? Did a friend tell you? You didn't answer any of my questions either. What hidden gems do you know about that you would compile in the place of all the mediocre stuff?

Why would I compile a list for you to then use it to boost a future volume of your crappy, cynical series? If there's an unbearably smug no-mark around here at the moment, then it's you. And as for "doing fuck all", how do you presume to know what I have and haven't done?

Still, I'm not the one here hiding behind a stupid pseudonym.

PS is nothing to do with me and I'm sure any list you could possibly come up with would boost absolutely nothing. But please prove me wrong, nobody can bootleg a list after all, so give us at least some of the uncompiled gems PS is missing out on. Even just one maybe?

So 'Andy C' is a real name? What does the 'C' stand for? What exactly have you done other than complain?

Yes, Andy Chapman is a real name. How about Biff Skipperty? Is that how you were christened? As background and achievement are so important to you, why not let everyone know who you really are (apart from the compiler of Piccadilly Sunshine, of course, otherwise you'd hardly be so defensive or sensitive about such a pile of shit)?

I'm on here quite a lot, and as most people here will know, I very rarely complain. But Piccadilly Sunshine is such a dismal and cynical series that I feel I'm entitled to say that (as indeed have other people in this thread - strange that you're only having a go at me rather than them).

I have no desire to make a list to help you - sorry, the compiler - assemble the next interminable volume of PS. I'm a punter who has bought a lot of psych-based LP/CD series, there are plenty of good ones, but PS isn't one of them. Sorry to burst your delicate bubble.

So what have you done? Other than occasionally come on here, blub like it's the wrong time of the month and then piss off again? (Not, of course, that I'm objecting to you pissing off - possibly the only worthwhile thing you've ever achieved in what passes for your existence?)

Biff Skip - please don't take this the wrong way, it's really not my intention to wind you up but perhaps you are unaware that Andy in fact has put together some stellar comps over the years

Such as? Clearly there is nothing left in the bank.

Anyway, Andy has since used his supernatural powers (previously used to rubbish a series he admits he hasn't even bought or listened to) to send me a mental PM apologising for his atrocious behaviour. I accept your apology Andy.

I still have absolutely nothing to do with PS and I would have reacted the same way to anyone posting in such a smug, superior and dismissive way about something they haven't even heard.

Just because I haven't bought the series doesn't mean I'm not familiar with a lot of the tracks. Or is that too complicated a notion for your limited intellect to grasp?

No apology necessary to you, because whether you're involved with that shitty series or not, you're still an ignorant no-mark wanker. Now fuck off.

Calm down dear. Don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm sure it's not the first time someone has had to pick you up on your terrible attitude and it probably won't be the last. I'm happy to keep you on the straight and narrow here, as I certainly won't be going anywhere.

Yeah right, you're 'familiar with a lot of the tracks' my arse. Who are you trying to kid? You made a sweeping generalisation based on pure ignorance and you got called out on it and now you are just looking silly trying to claim otherwise. Anyhoo, as you are clearly loosing your cool, stooping to abuse and attempting to deny the glaringly self-evident, I will bid farewell to give you chance to calm down and think about your behaviour.

My behaviour is fine. It's just that you don't have the wit or gumption to realise that you're making yourself look even more stupid and ignorant with every post you make (quite an achievement in your case).

Sorry to interrupt this back and forth (although it's quite entertaining and reminds me of the good old RZ daze), but I'm actually quite excited about Particles releasing this as a box set. Not because I will be buying it, as I'm one of the "suckers" (as PT Barnum once called my type) who religiously bought each volume as they were released. Yes, some were good, some not so much... but I'm still happy to have them regardless.

What excites me (not in a sexual way or anything), is the possibility of Particles doing the same thing with the Mixed Up Minds series. I chose to forego this one as I couldn't afford both and I was well into PS before I knew of MUM. Uhhh no, that's wrong... I've known my mum for 55 years. Although the first couple are a little fuzzy.

But I digress, the point I'm trying to make is the release of a Piccadilly Sunshine box bodes well for the same for Mixed Up Minds. Or is it just wishful thinking?

As you were gents...

Hi Mark,
No, not wishful thinking, it's inevitable! Just depends how many volumes get issued individually before they're boxed up in card sleeves. I'm suprised the Electric Asylum series hasn't been done that way yet as well. I second your opinion on the PS series as a whole. Across 400 tracks there is bound to be weaker moments, even weaker volumes, but as a whole set I'm very pleased to have them.

As Paul Clarke rightly stated, there will be people who only picked up a few volumes of PS who might buy into the box set as a cheaper way of getting the set. Also, as he says, you can pick these Particles sets up cheaper on eBay after a few months in auctions. Last night I won the Particles 'Ultimate Acid Dreams Collection' box srt for just over £20, and did the same with their 'Psychedelia' box some time back so it's worth the wait to get these boxes at a realistic price if you're interested in them.

PM