UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eyes Of Blue albums official CD reissues

Due 27/11...A newly remastered & expanded edition of the 1969 album by the Welsh band EYES OF BLUE, “In Fields of Ardath”.

Formed in 1966, the band won the Melody Maker “Beat Contest” that year and signed to Decca’s Deram label. Following the release of some unrepresentative singles, the band came to the attention of producer LOU REIZNER.

The line-up of GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS (vocals), WYNDHAM REES (vocals), PHIL RYAN (keyboards), RAY “TAFF” WILLIAMS (guitar), RITCHIE FRANCIS (bass) and JOHN WEATHERS (drums) recorded their debut album, “Crossroads of Time”, between March and July 1968 in London. Finally released in early 1969, the album was a fine mixture of original compositions and imaginative covers versions, selling in sufficient quantities for the band to be given the chance to record a second album in the Spring of 1969, “In Fields of Ardath”.

The sessions coincided with the departure of Wyndham Rees and the band’s second album was more “progressive” in feel, touching on a range of influences from psychedelic rock, Rhythm & Blues, jazz, Indian and classical music.

Quincy Jones (with whom the band worked on the unreleased score to the film “Toy Grabbers”) would later comment; “All the ethnic qualities which I had recalled about the people of Wales were manifest in that tape. There was a native sensuality in their playing.

Eyes Of Blue was musically curious” “In Fields of Ardath” is now regarded as a classic album of the era and is much sought after by collectors.

This edition is the first official CD release of the album (fully endorsed by the band) and has been re-mastered from the master tapes. It includes the rare bonus track ‘Apache ‘69’ (featured on the US release of the album) and a booklet, which fully restores the original album artwork and features a new essay with rare photographs.

1. MERRY GO ROUND 2. THE LIGHT WE SEE 3. SOUVENIRS (TRIBUTE TO DJANGO) 4. ARDATH 5. SPANISH BLUES 6. DOOR (THE CHILD THAT IS BORN ON THE SABBATH DAY) 7. LITTLE BIRD 8. AFTER THE WAR 9. EXTRA HOUR 10. CHANCES

BONUS TRACK

11. APACHE ‘69

Due 27/11...A newly remastered & expanded edition of the 1969 album by the Welsh band EYES OF BLUE, “Crossroads of Time”.

Formed in 1966, the band won the Melody Maker “Beat Contest” that year and signed to Decca’s Deram label.

Following the release of some unrepresentative singles, the band came to the attention of producer LOU REIZNER.

The line-up of GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS (vocals), WYNDHAM REES (vocals), PHIL RYAN (keyboards), RAY “TAFF” WILLIAMS (guitar), RITCHIE FRANCIS (bass) and JOHN WEATHERS (drums) recorded their debut album, “Crossroads of Time”, between March and July 1968 in London.

Finally released in early 1969, the album was a fine mixture of original compositions and imaginative covers, (such as ‘7 + 7 Is’ and ‘Yesterday’). The album’s title track and ‘Love is the Law’ were penned by the legendary Graham Bond, who also wrote the original album notes.

A highly original album with psychedelic, jazz and classical influences, “Crossroads of Time” is now regarded as a classic of the era and is much sought after by collectors.

This edition is the first official CD release of the album (fully endorsed by the band) and has been re-mastered from the master tapes. It includes the rare bonus track ‘Q III’ and a booklet, which fully restores the original album artwork and features a new essay with rare photographs.

1. CROSSROADS OF TIME 2. NEVER CARE 3. I'LL BE YOUR FRIEND 4. 7+7 IS 5. PRODIGAL SON 6. LARGO 7. LOVE IS THE LAW 8. YESTERDAY 9. I WONDER WHY 10. WORLD OF EMOTION 11. INSPIRATION FOR A NEW DAY

BONUS TRACK

12. Q III B-SIDE OF SINGLE

Re: Eyes Of Blue albums official CD reissues

Brilliant!!!!!!!Been waiting for this for an age!!2 excellent albums particularly Crossroads of Time!!27th November is my birthday too!!!!Is it Esoteric that are reissuing those Painterman??

Yes indeed Stuart.

Great albums. Hard to work out why it's taken so long for them to be reissued properly, but better late than never.

Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Great albums. Hard to work out why it's taken so long for them to be reissued properly, but better late than never.

for sure a big hole filled in the crazy reissue world we now live in.

best, eggy

Excellent, anyone know the price tag on them?

I found it strange that Esoteric had released what is basically a third Eyes Of Blue album,this album was released under the name of Big Sleep and titled "Bluebell Wood"and originally released in 1971,but the reissue was 2007,8 years ago,i find that frightening as it feels i only bought it in the last few years,as for the album,i like most of it,its firmly in the prog rock mode to my ears........So i'm delighted that those 2 Eyes Of Blue albums are getting the Esoteric reissue treatment,as for the price Frothninja probably around the 12 quid mark,but i usually wait and get it a couple of quid cheaper from an Amazon seller like Action Records whose prices are excellent and quick delivery too.

Stuart, I too thought it was just a couple of years ago that I bought Bluebell Wood - time's flying by.
I bought the two albums from a cut-out bin in May 1974. I transferred them to CD some years ago with the bonus tracks that are on the new CDs. Do I now purchase proper new remastered CDs with good notes? Yes I will. Looking forward to them.