UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
original album series

Does anyone happen to know if there is a complete list of the Columbia label's CD 'original album series'sets anywhere on the net? You know, those five card sleeved Cds that come in in a card slip case, usually by one artist or group with the album sleeves pictured ont he front. There's loads listed on amazon but I would be interested in a complete list to date if there is one.

PM

Re: original album series

ihave the monkees series which is great.

just type in 'original album series' in amazon or ebay there are masses of them great value

Yes, I know Phil but they're so random on Amazon and eBay you could look for hours and see the same titles more than two dozen times with one or two others only occuring once interspersed. That's why I would love to see an actual release list either by artist or cataloguie number at least, but I suppose that's not very likely. Great budget series though. I guess most people will have at least one set in their collection, I've never actually counted mine but I keep discovering new ones to add.

PM

be interested to see which you have paul
i have
OTIS REDDING
WILSON PICKETT
TOMMY JAMES
BYRDS
MONKEES
HARRY NILLSON
WALKER BROTHERS

Haven't got them listed specifically Phil, though off the top of my head titles include post 60s stuff in the main but a few 60s ones too:

Jefferson Airplane
The Monkees
Lou Reed (4 sets)
The Stranglers (Epic albums)
Stiff Little Fingers
New Model Army
Buzzcocks
Psychedelic Furs
Sisters of Mercy
Blondie (x 3 of their more recent albums)
UFO
The B52s

Those are the ones I can most readily see on my shelves anyway

PM

Hi Paul,

might this be useful? :

http://www.originalalbumseries.com/originalalbumseries.htm?pg=1

Bests.

Thanks very much Jose, that's spot on!

PM

Great list but I don't think its complete.

There appear to be national bands getting the treatment in places like Italy;

http://www.amazon.it/Original-Album-1-Pooh/dp/B004708KCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447370829&sr=8-3&keywords=pooh+original+album

And just look at that price!

http://www.amazon.it/Original-Album-New-Trolls/dp/B0046MVVXS/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1447371119&sr=8-23&keywords=original+album

Thanks Paul, you're right, there probably are more titles in different territories. It's a pity there isn't one for The Rokes in Italy as far as I could see.

EMI Australia are also doing a similar series which has almost the same kind of graphics. I got a 5 cd set by Supergrass from EMI Australia which doesn't seem to exist here plus they have a lot of presumably Australian bands sets in the series I've never heard of. I got the Buzzcoks set in the Australian series a few years before it cme out in the OAS. There's also the Scandinavian EMI series with bands like Tages that come in the same slip case card sleeve format.

I also have a new 'Virgin Years' series as well with sets by new wavers Penetration, The Motors, The Ruts and the Skids so far (though these are more elaborate with a liner boklet and in a clam shell box).

I do like thee little box sets, they're very handy and shelf space friendly. Only downer is you don't often get any bonus tracks though the Psychedleic Furs set I have does come with bonus tracks.

PM

Yup lots of local versions - saw a Paddy Casey 3 cd Irish version.

There are also other variations on the theme such as the Ember Originals : Rock Box set

Who do you order from in Oz Paul? I used to use Smokecds but I think its now defunct!