UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alex Harvey

I just stumbled across this listing on Amazon:

Alex Harvey – Last of The Teenage Idols – LP sized 14 x CD box set £97.50 released 18th March

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Teenage-Idols-Alex-Harvey/dp/B019QHELCU/ref=sr_1_69?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1452096750&sr=1-69&keywords=cd+box+set

Can't find a track list for it on the net or any other info - but a 14 CD set could be amazing. I'm a big fan and have the SAHB abums as Japanese mini LP Cds, but even so, this looks like the Alex Harvey anthology he really deserves. The set is pictured in the listing and seems to have been given some serious thought, the box looks great, so hopefully the musical content is as well.

I'd like to know if this includes all the 1960s German soul band material and Decca stuff, anything unissued by Giant Moth, or is it all Vertigo era material? Not a cheap thing to buy of course, but potentially worth the investment. If anyone finds a track listing on line, please post here, thanks.

Cheers
PM

Re: Alex Harvey

listing for the Alex Harvey box set on amazon now updated with the blurb below. I shall have to start saving.

PM

‘This 14-CD / 217-track box set is the biggest career spanning / cross-label collection ever assembled to celebrate the genius of the sensational Alex Harvey.

Set in a lavish 10x10” box set and presented in a heavy duty slip case it comes complete with a 60-page hard cover book featuring a new essay by respected Scottish writer, Tim Barr, and loads of rare and previously unseen family photographs and photographs of Alex throughout his career. Of the music it contains, 21 are previously unreleased while a further 59 are appearing officially on CD for the first time.

Highlights in this treasure trove include: a first-time on CD for the debut album by Alex Harvey And His Soul Band; the first official release of the outfit’s second album; and complete re-mastered albums from the solo years, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and New Band eras, all supplemented by demos, rarities, BBC recordings, B-sides and a 24-minute, spoken-word piece from Alex previously only available on the promo-only ‘Alex Harvey Talks About Everything’

looks nice for a fan but im a bit bovril with Alex Harvey i can really enjoy him one day bout not the next

I'm with Phil and his 2 sheds on this. Would love it if there were some unreleased Giant Moth trax. My understanding is his 2 Decca 45s (Sunday Song and Maybe Someday) were Giant Moth.

The track listing:
http://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/The-Last-Of-The-Teenage-Idols-Limited-Edition-T-Shirt/51FX0000000?vib=78025048C

I appreciate the first 4 albums of SHHB but how is the rest?

Interesting pricing - especially when you compare it to this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0182RI9A0?keywords=bruce%20springsteen&qid=1452292641&ref_=sr_1_3&s=music&sr=1-3

Yes, Harvey is like a new leather jacket, you have to wear it in for a good while before it fits you comfortably. He was pretty eclectic and never had any conventional singing style either. SAHB's 'The Penhouse Tapes'just leaves one word in my head 'why?' It's a collection of 1930s crooner ballads, what was the point?? Whereas 'Faith Healer' (album version)is one of my favourite tracks of all time. Saw SAHB at the Reading Festival in 1977 where they had the enormnous brick wall back drop and 'Vambo Rules' graffitied across it, very impressive live I thought.

The two UK Decca singles were by Glasgow psychsters Gaint Moth, which Harvey fronted in 1967 but Decca refused to put them out under that name. They felt using Harvey's name alone would sell more copies (it didn't!).I've not heard any of the post-SAHB material he did.

I do not think this is a box for casual interest listeners or the SAHB purists as his 60s career veered all over the place. As the track lists suggest (thanks for that Philippe), it includes a lot of standard blues and r&b covers, as was common at the time. He was recording for Polydor in Germany where his strongest fan base was in the mid 60s. But the Roman Wall album from the end of that decade is an interesting listen (the album from which the groovy dancer Fontana 45 'Midnight Moses' was culled and is a such a big mod club raver nowadays, it was even reissued as a record store day 45 last year).

Along withn the bonus cuts (it will be a bizarre listen of the Penthouse Tapes disc with the bonus cuts that have been added, that are not from those sessions at all), there's a lot to absorb here. I've always admired Harvey's tenacity to succeed and his eclecticism and I want the box for the overall 'wholeness' of what he musically was. He should be a 'national treasure' (at least to Scotland / Glasgow) and like a lot of artists with long back catalogues but an eratic profile, the reissues have been patchy and uncohesive. So I say hurrah! for whoever put this cross label set together as it should be a defining statement of his musical career.

Paul - The Springsteen 15 CD set you point to price wise, I think is different in that it is made up of radio broadcasts. I would imagine the licensing was neglible given the cost of the box. It would be interesting to have an insider's report on how the Alex Harvey box was put together, e.g. was it hard to get the licensing, corrolate the songs etc.

Anyway, I for one am eagerly awaiting the issue of this set. In the meantime I'm going to play Bowie's new 'Black Star' CD album that's just arrived.

PM

Hi Paul,

I know they are different sets and what you say about licensing is probably true. That said, there is a huge difference between 16 pounds and 151 euro! When I saw the Springsteen set I kept thinking there was a mistake in the pricing. But even if the licensing costs are negligible if you can sell 15 CDs at little more than £1 each how much profit is being made?

The new End (4cd) set is now selling for £11 on Amazon and I have to say that is great value but I just think there is a bit of gouging going on in some of the box sets. As a Kinks fan there seems to be a different "best of" or "ultimate box set" coming out every few months. The Small Faces suffer the same fate.

Thanks for the Alex Harvey info- I'm a complete newbie to him. Where should I start- Roman Wall Blues? I'm afraid I'm not a huge blues fan and this is what has probably put me off.

Hi Paul,
Yes, these super deluxe boxes are usually priced high so the labels make the money off the hard core fan base in initial sales. On a site like the super deluxe editions website, you often see these sets reported as reduced by up to half within a few months of issue, so you can get a bargain.

My favourite Alex Harvey album is the Sensational Alex Harvey Band's 'Next'. This is the one with 'Faith Healer' I'd recommened trying that and SAHB's 'The Impossible Dream' on Youtube or wherever.If you like those try 'Tomorrow Belongs To Me' as well. Harvey tends to 'voice act' his songs rather than sing them a lot of the time, saving his breath for sustaining one long note in a song somewhere so it's not something you may necessarily take a shine to immidiately. Avoid 'The Penthouse Tapes'!

The earlier stuff you might notlike as it's pretty blues based. but just try keying in Alex Harvey or Alex Harvey soul band on Spotify or youtube and sample a bit. Other than that, his defining moments (for me) are 'Midnight Moses'on Fontana and all 4 sides of the 2 x Decca singles he did in 1967 with Giant Moth (but issued under his name only).

The problem for Harvey, a bit like Hendrix used to be, is that a lot of his back catalogue until more recently was reissued as cheap budget samplers without much thought to what went on them. This box will put that right I think.

PM

PS - Yes, do start with the 'Romam Wall Blues' album (Fontana 1969). This used to be an expensive vinyl atrefact at one time (maybe it still is). It marries Harvey's blues roots on some songs with groovier more 'of the times' numbers. It comes at the end of what used to be referrred to his 'no-man's land' years.

Paul

Thanks again for the info. on Alex Harvey. Sounds interesting-I will start with Roman walls. On the box sets - I agree most do come down in price but not all. I am happy to own the Essence of Swedish Progressive Music, 1967-1979 (4cd set) which now sells for crazy money.

Some of these CDs are interesting for me too, Roman Wall is a very good LP, so are the Rock Workshop tracks, never heard the Hair and Joker Wild tracks... are they any good?

I don't think I've heard the Hair and Joker wild tracks either, so something to explore in due course.

P

By the way I recall reading recently that the 'soul band' on one or other of those two early Polydor albums was actaully the Four Just Men / Just Four Men Merseybeat group, who later of course became Wimple Winch. They were playing at the same venues in Germany as Harvey, who one morning bright and early woke them all up and said, 'I've got an album to record for Polydor today and you're my band'! I think in fact I read that in a recent issue of Shindig in an interview with one of the Wimple Winch guys.

PM

Hi Guys,its funny you talking about Alex Harvey,particularly the "Roman Wall Blues"album,i just got that the other week,in my opinion his best and most consistent album ,released the same year as the Hairband"Band on the Wagon"album which also has some good tracks but just not as good as "Roman Wall Blues",dont let the Blues in the title fool you,its much more than that,yes of course blues is certainly an influence but its not some boring electric blues album,its a real period piece of an album with good vocals(not like some of his later work,where he exagerates and dramatizes his vocal) and melodic songs replete with horns and some nice guitar.This album is included in its entirety on the forthcoming 14 cd box set which is great as its only been available on the bootleg label Red Fox as far as im aware,thats the cd i got and luckly it has a good sound,but buying boot cds you dont really know what sorta sound youre goint to get.Happy to have this!!!

Hello Gian,the "Jokers Wild"album is a real mixed bag of songs and to be honest i would find it hard to heartily recommend this,as for Alex Harvey and his soul band,i've got ordered a cd from Amazon which seemingly features a 16 page booklet and from listening to samples of it it sounds pretty good.As for Rock Workshop,Alex Harvey is only on the first album where he wrote and performed around 4 or 5 tracks which are also included on the 14 cd set,not the whole Workshop album it must be said,so you'll have to buy the Angel Air cd for the whole album which also features guitar virtuoso Ray Russell.I hope this helps Gian!!