UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
French Psych?

I know there was a lot of interesting French music with psych/prog elements released, particularly in the early 70s, but I was just wondering if there were any 'proper' French '67/'68/'69 psych LPs out there. The only 2 I've ever come across are Le Fleurs De Pavot and Octopus 4 - Confluents, both absolutely great in their own ways. Any more I'm missing?

Re: French Psych?

French music was not at the top of the psych movement in the 60's.

During the years you want, except the usual suspects, I can only mention two albums of 1969 :
- Bernard Estardy "La formule du baron"
- Dickens " Royal incarnation".

The good period of French psych (if it has exist...) was after 1969. But nothing fantastic to be honest, just good to excellent music trying to copy US and UK inventions (except Magma).

Hi all,

there were several demi-French or non-French bands who recorded in France and are well worth checking out- Les Irrésistibles, Baba Scholae, Gong etc.

Of the French artists the Johnny Hallyday album with the Small Faces always gets a mention- Riviere Ouvre Ton Lit

Variations by Nador isn't at all bad-

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/variations-nador

Christophe - Samourai (1976)- Is a late semi-gem of Beatlesque pop. Its has a very nice 60s in the 70s feel to it.

Anyone heard the David Explosion LP? Any good?

Some Canadian or Belgian and perhaps more prog but....Offenbach, Dionysos, Cruciferus, Laurelie.

Many thanks - some very interesting suggestions.

the debut by gerard manset in 1969 is excellent. I also like the Nino Ferrer and Michel Polnareff albums also released in 1969 I think. Remember also Gainsbourg and Dutronc. These are generally psych-pop with short songs.

A little up about my post about French pop, if not psych.

Dickens are very good. Les Goths were knocking out good garage/psych in '68 (Out Of The Sun, A Man Has Been Entered par example)
No LP I know of though

Agree with you about Dickens, Mr Frothy. A great little album, but doe anyone know anything about them?
One album with very little exposure and that's it.
The complete album can be heard on you tube.