UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: About French pop 60-70's

A little up for memories about French "psych".

Great write up Philippe, I really like going off the same old anglo-centric route and getting some different input from elswhere in the world.

Additionally, I would add a few others (60s anyway) like Everiste (see him on Youtube looking like a 60s version of Human League's Phil Oakey!) who was soemwhat in a Jacques Dutronc mode but without the suit. The No Smoke label put out a vinyl anthology of his 45s and EP a few years back called 'Do You Know The Beast' which is well worth hearing.

Also, some of the artists on the excellent French psych-pop comps Wizzz Vols 1 & 2. I guess people like Daniel Beretta and Richard de Bordeaux, like Everiste, made only a few records, but they are great. I think I have an album by Le Fleur de Pavot on CD which is pretty good as well. And Stephen Varegues 'Pape du Pop' is a great bendy number.

I think the 'Groove Club Vol.1: La Confiserie Magigique' compilation has some great tunes on it as well. Lots of stuff really but scatter-gun and I agree Polnareff is at the top!

PM

See Evariste (with an 'a' not an 'e' as I wrote in the previous post)here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOfdJ8ZcLJc

Also, for the 70s, I have a very enjoyable 2 x LP compilation of the French Cuckoo label on Finders Keepers called 'Cloud Cuckooland' that has some interesting things on it as well.

PM

great post thanks :)

I have not much Frencj releases but this will help fix that!

I have the Wizz ones and very good and also cloud cuckooland which very interesting

best, eggy

Very good "resume", thanks Philippe. I should add that Nino Ferrer actually was Italian and enjoyed large success in both countries. The Johnny Halliday comp. is just excellent! I have to say I quite love some Francoise Hardy albums, one for all "la Question", and staying with (terrific) female vocals, you MUST listen at least once to Catherine Ribeiro's early albums. Also like MOR, Ange and William Sheller's Lux Aeterna

EDIT - oops, just found them from your links above. Sorry!

Yes, great write up Philippe. A lot to dig in to. I was wondering, would you mind posting the track lists for your Frog Prog comps? I'd love to see what tracks you selected for those. Thanks Philippe!

i listened to the Catherine Ribeiro lp called Paix as you say very intense but a great listen is all her albums of this style Phillipe?

i enjoyed her albums with Alpes really great music lots of drama and organ swirling round
THIS WAS WRITTEN ABOUT THERE 4 CD BOXSET ON AMAZON
This box set consists of four albums recorded by Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes between 1970 and 1974. The overall sound across all four albums is a heady mix of avant-psych-prog-folk with elements of jazz and even medieval music. There's plenty of note repetition and some subtle synthesizer vibes, with solid percussion and good use of the organ and guitar. Much of the music sounds improvised but, nonetheless, it's never less than interesting.

Ribero's voice, which is sometimes absent for extended periods, is a thing of wonder - at times it's similar to Nico (singing in French) but Ribero's voice covers the whole vocal spectrum, and she uses is it to perfectly express her emotions - screaming, shrieking, shouting, laughing, orgasmic moans, hushed singing, etc. During 'Poeme Non Epique' she doesn't just sound like a woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown, but appears to have a full-blown one. Listening to these albums back to back is the closest you'll get to experiencing an exorcism. Not recommended for listeners of a nervous disposition, although there are moments of out-and-out beauty. Anyone with an interest in music that will challenge, astonish, confound, terrify and delight in equal measure will find much to enjoy here.
this is not my writing but explains her music better than i

Re: Présence

I've been a fan of Darras & Desumeur and Présence ever since I found a copy of Présence's eponymous album in 1978. However, the only pressing of the album I've ever encountered is the Canadian version. I understand that there's a French edition out there that has a gatefold sleeve with the lyrics to the songs, but the only image I've found of it is too small for the words to be legible. Can anyone help me out with this? The lyrics to the songs on "Temps" are printed on the back of the album cover, and I'd love to have the lyrics from "Présence" to go with them!