UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Golden Days of Aussie Pub Rock Vol.1

I like the look of this. I recognise some of the acts, many not. Perhaps the Austrailian RZ contingent would like to comment on its contents? I like the way the blurb says it's called ' pub rock' because it starts in the pub'. Very straight forward. You couldn't say that about British pub rock of the 70s, the term would come with far more baggage and disputed identity issues!

The Glory Days Of Aussie Pub Rock Vol.1 4 x CD box set (April 8th, £20.23)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glory-Days-Aussie-Pub-Rock/dp/B01CPEH7AY/ref=sr_1_44?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1457790530&sr=1-44&keywords=cd+box+set

PM

Re: The Golden Days of Aussie Pub Rock Vol.1

That Should Be 'Glory Days' not 'Golden Days, soz.

PM

if you are a aussie everything starts in the pub!

Bloody rude Mr One Shed! Although maybe slightly true. I don't think the English are all that shy about meeting down the pub either though.

Anyway, I saw quite a few of these bands back in the day. Australia went through a stage in the late 70's-late 80'sish of pubs being what were sometimes termed beer barns. Big open areas where some of these bands would share bills or if you were one of the bigger names pack them out on their own. All standing, no seating, sweaty and usually jam packed.

I wouldn't have thought that quite a few of these band would fit the title of this comp. as many of the lesser known or less popular bands really appeared at smaller more intimate pubs. I guess the compilers are just throwing in names from the era under a broad banner as is their want.
Like any comp, especially a 4 cd one, there will be a variety of sounds and quality. And this is only Vol 1 apparently.

DescriptionDetailsTrack Listing
Festival Records and Warner Music Australia are excited to announce the release of the definitive overview of the great Aussie Rock scene from '70s and '80s and into the '90s: 'The Glory Days Of Aussie Pub Rock Vol. 1,' on 4CD set!

Featuring a whopping 91 tracks 'The Glory Days Of Aussie Pub Rock Vol. 1' focuses on the birthplace of classic OZ Rock - the pub! It includes seminal songs from virtually every successful Aussie rock band from the mid-'70s through to the early-'90s, including Cold Chisel, The Angels, Divinyls, Midnight Oil, Mental As Anything, Baby Animals, Split Enz, Hunters & Collectors, Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls, Men At Work, Australian Crawl, Skyhooks, The Screaming Jets, Rose Tattoo, Dragon, Tmg, Sunnyboys, Stars, The Saints, Noiseworks, Black Sorrows, Models, The Sports, Renee Geyer, Mi-Sex, Jimmy Barnes, Ian Moss, Boom Crash Opera, Stevie Wright, Choirboys, Icehouse And Flowers, The Reels, Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons, Mondo Rock, Richard Clapton, Radiators, The Badloves, Boom Crash Opera, Tim Finn, The Church and more!.

It also includes memorable tracks from bands from the era whose fame may have been fleeting, but who still packed 'em in in the pubs, including Jimmy & The Boys, Goanna, Swanee, Dave Warner's From The Suburbs, Matt Finish, Painters & Dockers, Uncanny X-Men And Moving Pictures; as well as many groups who were local heroes of the day, like Perth's The Boys, The Elks And Loaded Dice, Newcastle's Heroes, Sydney's The Hitmen, The Numbers, The Cockroaches, Xl Capris and The Cyril B. Bunter Band, and Melbourne's Billy Miller & The Great Blokes, James Freud & The Radio Stars, Stiletto, Brod Smith's Big Combo and The Aliens (Melbourne). Some of the bigger indie guitar bands of the '80s also appear, like Lime Spiders and Huxton Creepers. Even Nick Cave makes an appearance with the classic Boys Next Door single "Shivers" (as later covered by the Screaming Jets!)

Additionally, 'The Glory Days of Aussie Pub Rock Vol. 1' includes numerous tracks on CD for the first time ever, including The Dingoes' final Mushroom single "Smooth Sailing," the first Paul Kelly & The Dots single "Seeing is Believing," and Ray Arnott's "On the Run," which is strongly rumoured to feature Angus Young on guitar.

Aimed at both the collector and the casual fan alike, 'The Glory Days of Aussie Pub Rock Vol. 1' also includes comprehensive liner notes with track-by-track commentary and an essay by key '70s Australian rock writer (RAM magazine founding editor and Cold Chisel biographer) Anthony O'Grady. The collection's striking packaging features a new illustration by legendary Australian album cover and poster artist and Mushroom's first art director, Ian McCausland.
Primary Format - Music - CD

Artist - VARIOUS

Label - Festival / Warner

Music Genre - Rock

CD

Cold Chisel Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)
Midnight Oil Cold Cold Change
The Angels Take a Long Line
Divinyls Boys in Town
The Radiators Comin' Home
Flowers Walls
Models Big on Love
Hunters & Collectors Do You See What I See?
Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons So Young
The Sports Don't Throw Stones
Mental As Anything If You Leave Me - Can I Come Too?
Mondo Rock Cool World
Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls Dumb Things
Australian Crawl Beautiful People
Richard Clapton Out on the Edge Again
Men At Work Who Can It Be Now?
Matt Finish Mancini Shuffle (demo)
Sunnyboys Show Me Some Discipline
Loaded Dice Mam'selle
Ted Mulry Gang (TMG) Heart of Stone
Russell Morris & The Rubes The Roar of the Wild Torpedoes
Wendy & The Rocketts Tonite
Billy Miller & The Great Blokes Perpetual Motion
Dragon Rain
CD

Skyhooks Women in Uniform
The Ferrets Don't Fall in Love
The Dingoes Smooth Sailing (original Mushroom single version)
Stars Mighty Rock
Renée Geyer Hot Minutes
Stiletto Goodbye Johnny
Texas I Wanna Dance with You
The Elks Party Girl
The Reels Prefab Heart
Boys Next Door Shivers
The Saints Just Like Fire Would
Split Enz History Never Repeats
Goanna Solid Rock
Warumpi Band Blackfella/Whitefella
Ross Wilson Living in the Land of Oz
Ian Moss Telephone Booth
The Badloves Lost
Noiseworks Take Me Back
Choirboys Run to Paradise
Heroes The Star and the Slaughter
Ray Arnott On the Run
Marcus Hook Roll Band Natural Man
CD

Mi-Sex Computer Games
Dave Warner's From The Suburbs Suburban Boy
Jimmy & The Boys Products of your Mind
The Aliens Confrontation
The Boys Hurt Me Babe
The Hitmen I Don't Mind
Angry Anderson Bound for Glory
Uncanny X-Men Everybody Wants to Work
James Freud & The Radio Stars Modern Girl
Icehouse Nothing too Serious
V. Spy V. Spy Don't Tear It Down
XL Capris World War 3
The Numbers The Modern Song
The Church Too Fast for You
The Lime Spiders Weirdo Libido
The Lonely Hearts The Spell
The Johnnys Bleeding Heart
X Dream Baby
Painters & Dockers Nude School
Weddings, Parties, Anything Away Away
The Zimmermen What Really Hurts
Paul Kelly & The Dots Seeing is Believing
GANGgajang Gimme Some Lovin'
CD

Jimmy Barnes Driving Wheels
Baby Animals One Word
The Screaming Tribesmen Date with a Vampyre
Huxton Creepers I Will Persuade You
Boom Crash Opera The Best Thing
The Screaming Jets Better
Heaven Fantasy
Finch Short Changed Again
Rose Tattoo We Can't Be Beaten
Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs Movie Queen
Stevie Wright Hard Road
Jeff St. John A Fool in Love
The Stockley, See, Mason Band Endless Love
Swanee If I were a Carpenter
The Cyril B. Bunter Band Last Chance
The Cockroaches She's the One
Tim Finn Made My Day
The Black Sorrows Chained to the Wheel
Moving Pictures Bustin' Loose
Broderick Smith's Big Combo Faded Roses
Ariel Yeah Tonight
The Party Boys (featuring Kevin Borich) Gonna See My Baby Tonight

Hi Mr WW, it's got an April 8th release date in Blighty. if you see it around locally in Oz could you note what the packaging is like (fat jewel case, card sleeved slip case, clam box etc?). It's still not the kind of info anyione bothers to note in the promo blurbs, however much ink they spill on them!

Cheers
PM

Will do Paul.

Heck of a lot of repeatage for moi. Most Aussie bands started in pubs/clubs, helluva lot ended up there too (eg Bobby & Laurie, Jeannie Lewis) - most of the tracks above are fairly slick in comparison to what they would have been like in their pub days. Some very dodgy choices too - each to their own & I suspect its somewhat label oriented. I'll wait til its a fiver.