UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steel Mill-Jewel Of The Forest cd

I bought this cd released by Rise Above Relics Records way back in 2010,which includes the album "Green Eyed God"released by the Penny Farthing Label way back in 1971 and loads of bonus tracks including pre-album recordings made in April 1970 and also includes the 1972 single"Get On The Line",which is a fabulous progressive pop single.Special mention must be made of the excellent booklet,which has loads of photos and pictures of record sleaves from all over the place which is a nice touch and the liners are excellent!!

What is the reason of this post one might add,well i have had this cd for 6 years(man im getting old)but in all that time i have rarely put it on and gave it a good listen,untill this morning,WOW!!what have i missed for those 6 years?This is a fabulous cd with the actual album"Green Eyed god"in my opinion being a top notch progressive album with an opener like"Blood Runs Deep"(which is brilliant)the rest of the album could have been an anti-climax,but it isn't,really good songwriting and with melody too keeps this album from sinking.......As for the pre-album 1970 recordings,this shows the band in a more sorta less exciting straight pop/rock sound,and not as exciting as the material on the album,though i might add theres some excellent guitar playing on those tracks,plus they are not as polished or finished sounding as the album.Theres also quite a bit of sax featuring on most of the recordings on this cd,i am not a big lover of this instrument but its not too obtrusive,and actually slots in very nicely,sorta like the brass on the excellent Galliard albums as an example!!

Rise Above Relics have done a fantastic job on this cd,could i also recommend the Incredible Hog cd that Rise Above Relics have reissued too,which features extra tracks and again a fine booklet.Both cds come in a slipsleeve too which just gives you the impression of a lush product thats been carefully and lovingly put together,which they certainly have.......So thanks to the label for that,there are another few reissues and unreleased recordings from the 70s from Rise Above Relics which have been meticulously put together,i have noticed that those cds are going up in price at least on Amazon,so i would pick them up before they get even more expensive.Sorry for waffling on......anyone else rate Rise Above Relics releases?Or any of the albums ive mentioned?
Thanks for listening!!

Re: Steel Mill-Jewel Of The Forest cd

Hi Stuart, thanks for that enthusing, nice to see you back here! I am going to look both those titles up.I've got the Incredible Hog 45 from the album but not really investigated the album itself. As for Steel Mill, I have always liked what I heard by them, but that has been a bit disjointed, so must check out thar Rise Avove Relics set.

Cheers
PM

Re: Steel Mill-Jewel Of The Forest cd

I have it Stuart and agree with what you say. Great packaging and a very good album.

Listened to Incredible Hog, but doesn't really do enough for me to want to buy it.