UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CDs, rarity and value

Hi Guys,First off i have not had a record player for many many years,i dont download music from the internet,and yes as you've probably guessed i only buy cds,i just can not see the enjoyment in downloading hundreds of songs from the internet onto an mp3 player or some other medium.I like to have the actual product in my hands,and if the cd has a booklet etc,i am pretty anal about listening to the music while reading the liners etc and hopefully the booklet features photos etc,this is all things i love about cds and their packaging,which it seems very few vinyl reissues have to the extent you get in a cd booklet,but i maybe wrong,if so correct me.Can i also say the quality of cds and the technology that goes into them has vastly improved in recent years,so cds from 20 years ago compared to now,there really is no comparison,the older ones can sound really muddy compared to now.I will admit you do lose a lot of the impact of the artwork on a cd compared to 12"vinyl album,particularly on some of the psych albums where in some cases the artwork was part of the psychedelic experience!!

Im glad Paul mentioned about the packaging of cds,particularly jewel cases,thankfully i am seeing more and more cd reissues coming in digipack and other form of packaging,i really dont mind jewel cases that much,but its good to see that the packaging is updating itself just like the sound quality of cds have.I find that smaller labels like Revola,Sundazed,RPM,Rise Above Relics,Now Sounds and more put more effort into their products more than the big labels do,its taken many years for the biggies to actually realise that back catalogues of many of the acts that recorded and where released by them are worth that effort to give the fans something worthwhile buying,but they are years behind a label like Sundazed for example,a label like EMI took many years to update and repackage 2 massive bands back catalogue of Pink Floyd and The Beatles for example,as for the Rolling Stones back catalogue issued on cd,piss poor in my opinion,the labels or as seems to be the case now are owned by massive multi conglomerates,thats why we as music lovers have got to back the small indie labels and their limited resources,i cant understand why if an album has been legit reissued on cd say by Now Sounds for example,why as a music lover who should care about the music and effort to get it released would rather find it for free on the internet??That to me is out of order and thats why small labels are going under!!!!Now Sounds cds usually are in the price range of £7.99 or even less,while Beatles and Floyd cd reissues for example sell for around a tenner.In my opiinion the major labels have been ripping music lovers off for many years by bagging big profits for little effort or thought into their product.

Anyway i've went a bit off topic,sorry,back to cds,i have NEVER had a cd go mouldy or discolour or lose its punch,even cds ive had for 20 odd years sound the same as when i first bought it.Does the sound on a vinyl record after many years of being played lose its punch or does the quality of the sound deteriate??I have never known of a cd to deteriate even after hundreds of plays through many years.Im just talking about my own experience,maybe others have heard a deteriation on the sound quality on their cds!!

Anyway i have really waffled on a bit here,i hope ive not bored you all to tears with my rambling,but i feel cds will be around for quite a while and longer than people think,remember vinyl was predicted to vanish many years ago,but here we are in 2016 and the sale of vinyl has actually shot up.

Thanks for listening!!

Re: CDs, rarity and value

Pretty much summed up already here. There are definitely some pretty valuable cd's going now. Some, like vinyl only had limited releases or pressings(do cds have pressings)so are now , just like vinyl, collectible and hard to come by.

I collect both vinyl and cd and it depends on the era, the band and the release which I'll go for. If it's something with extra tracks by a band I really like I'll get the cd. Often I might already have the original vinyl.