Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More on CDs

Have a look at this article:

http://gu.com/p/4j75b?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

While I have every sympathy for the guy, given all the memories and time served with his collection, he's an ex-music writer as so many of these stories are written by. That means usually, there's a lot of unsolicited CDs sent as promos for review in these collections (I had quite a few myself when writing for Shindig). I'm not sure the same rationalisation would apply for a more carefully compiled collection like RZ readers have.

Secondly, the guy sees his collection in terms of plastic jewel cases. I think at least 50% of my collection is in packaging other than plastic jewel cases - thankfully! What about super deluxe box sets, Japanese mini LP CDs, digipaks and those little clam box sets of card sleeved CDs that ar popular now?

I can see why the second-hand dealer near the end asserts that in another five years the writer would have been paying to have his CDs taken away rather than trying to sell them, just from the selections he cites! I don't think that would be the case for a lot of the stuff RZ readers have.

So, has anyone considered thinning their collections, is it off to the nearest charity shop with a whole load of un-played since you first had them jewel cased CDs or are any eBay bound? Or are they all your children to be eternally guarded against such economic crassness? (but which everyone other than a colelctor would call rational or a'necessity to get rid of!)

Also, have your tastes changed since you started collecting them? I began buying CDs in the 1980s and like a lot of people re-bought half my LP collection on the new format (goth, indie, punk at that time). Then in the 1990s I was into 1940s-50s r'n'b and rockabilly, progressed to 60s soul and then to garage and beat and onward to pscyh and beyond! I've sold a lot of the r'n'b and rockabilly stuff, kept all my soul and reggae CDs and everything thereafter. My taste expanded rather than dropping one gernre for another - what about you?

PM

Re: More on CDs

made me think ive been thinning out a bit a big difference to holding the album in your fav format or pushing a button and listening to the album which more than likely doesnt sound as good as the record or sometimes the cd.
For me i think its choice..in my many years ive bought albums ,sold em and then bought them again i changed all my beatles albums to the new ones i also resisted the urge to get the boxsets.
Another point if you have your music stored on mp3/M4a/flac or whatever you will most prob have it backed up but ive had a complete collection stolen and that was painful especially when i realised i hadnt got it on my insurance properly catered for.
How many of you have you music insured?

Mine's not insured. I don't think collectors really stop to think about that too much, unless they suffer the unfortunate occurance you did Phil. I guess a music collection is incrememntal, it inches its way up and along your shelf and floor space one addition at a ime but you only actually think of it in terms of what's coming next, so the whole of it as a collecion, financially doesn't get that much thought. After all, collectors are 'rescuing' items from the profanity of the market place, the economic sphere and placing them into the sacred and aesthetic one of the collection. Therefore the 'value' lies in the enjoyment and satisfaction the music / packaging gives not what it cost or might be worth - unless you either find a bargain or only buy rarities as an investment.

I do admit I make descriptive lists and a note of what I paid for each CD, 45, LP. Not sure why that is. Maybe there is a residual sublimninal concern about recouping the cost at least at a much later date - also cool to remind yourself how much something now costs that you scored cheap when it first came out possibly - or the other way round, how much the price has dropped! I also make a note of how I funded expensive purchases such as Japanese mini LP CD box sets. Looking back I see I have funded quite a few of them from the sale of other unwanted items which is quite satisfying as it's more like a trade than a purchase. I seem also to sometimes make quite copious contextual notes in my lists on how I came to buy a certain disc or set of discs, rather like a diary entry. Again, not sure why as it's not something anyone else will ever see or care about, so maybe I'm just reinforcing my own self-justifcation for the purchase?

The other thing about insuring a collection is that you will forever be increasing what's in it so the value will keep changing on a regular basis. Unless you stop collecting and inusure for the value at that point, you'll be forever upping the premiums!

PM

i wonder what the psychological factors are behind being a 'collector' bet that would open up a can of worms

Don't get me started! There's a lot of books on this, and I wrote two of them.

PM

The thought of having my stuff stolen sends a shudder down my spine.