UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Budgie box set

Paul. That does sound like a great bargain.

Didn't realise you were a closet heavy metal fan Paul. I have their first three albums, but Bandolier was later so which albums are on this cd comp?

Hi Greg
I'm not a metal fan as such, I prefer hard rock. I always liked Budgie because they combined melody and riff really well. I know they're considered one of the first metal bands, but I hear them more as hard rock - there's touches of Zepplin in there for sure though.

Anyway, the little box contains 'Never Turn Your Back On A Friend (1973), 'In For The Kill' (1974) and 'Bandolier' (1975), i.e. their 3rd, 4th and 5th albums. No idea why the first two ('Budgie' 1971 and 'Sqwaurk' 1972) are not also included, they were all on MCA after all.

The same three album set is being issued in Japan (a lot more expensively) as SHM mini LP CD editions at the end of June. Over there however Both 'Budgie' and 'Sqwuark' were also reissued as mini LP CDs in 2013 and 2014 on a different Japanese label (Belle Antique), so if you buy those it's possible to get all five of their MCA albums as high quality mini LP CDs. The Japanese set will also use a different cover design for the promo box ('Never Turn Your Back On A Friend' as opposed to 'In For The Kill' on the British set).

PM

I'm still looking for a copy of the 2013 Japanese mini LP CD edition of 'Budgie'by Budgie (their first 1971 album) if anyone happens to see one for sale. I've got 'Squarwk'.

PM

HEAVY HARMONIES Site has one paul

Thanks Phil, seems to have gone now though. looking at their prices it might be just as well!

P