Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is it just me?

Sure do.

i buy cds

It's not at all surprising - us oldies are still not happy unless we have something in physical form.

This was in the online version of Music Week last week:
At the year's halfway point, overall sales of 43,219,993 are 4.80% below same stage 2015 sales of 45,397,626. Streaming sales are up 24.43% at 12,952,759, physical sales are down 3.84% at 21,390,720 and downloads are down a massive 30.34% at 8,876,514. Vinyl sales are up 61.80% at 1,356,723, equating to a 6.34% share of the physical market. Cassettes are the biggest growth area in percentage terms but definitely not in units, climbing 103.82% from 2,328 to 4,745.

Me too!

Thanks for the stats, always interesting to see. I know anyone who posts here will of course be buying CDs and indeed many will be buying vinyl. That's the point really, we're a bubble - the 'overworld', even those of pre-download age, see CDs as about as relevant as a Model T Ford. Interesting to see the spike in cassette tape sales, I think it's a US college student thing rather than nostalgia from oldies like me - it's a cheap medium to record new music to. I am assuming people must rely on re-furbished old cassette decks to play these? I don't know if cassette recorders are even still made - though oddly the Police still use cassette tape for interviews at the station.
PM

....the Police still use cassette tape for interviews at the station.

I do hope that knowledge is not from personal experience old boy!

Paul martin
Is it just me or do other people feel surprised when people say 'CDs? Do people still buy those?'

PM

Every week pretty much - it's an addiction.
When I do purchase a flac file, I burn it to CD right away as well (so that counts in a roundabout way?)

Hello guys,yep i buy cds all the time and to me they're not irrelevent,but i do agree todays young music buyer will probably just download something from their computer and many times possibly for free.I love getting cds with lush booklets and many cds sounding great now,though i have to admit some cds in the past dont sound good at all,but the technology has moved so fast and in my opinion cd sound quality has vastly improved,if the remastering or transferring of analogue master tapes have been done well,i personally feel the sound of a cd must be hard to beat,i have read things on here and other places criticizing the sound of cds,but people must remember just because its on vinyl doesn't mean its gonna sound good!!!Or recreate the sound from say the 60s or 70s for example,i agree just like with cds there are botched reissues on vinyl too.But i have overstayed my welcome and my index finger is getting sore with all this typing,so the answer is yes cds are still relevent,but for how long i don't know,as i agree sales of cds has plummeted....i've still got a tape deck too but has not been used for many many years and its a constant reminder of how things have changed in the last 10 years and the way that people purchase their music and how they listen to it has totally changed and im frightened that my cd player will be a relic from the past just like my tape deck!!!

for me a mp3 cant be held in the hand but is a useful tool to use before buying altho you tube has a marvellous catalogue of old stuff to listen to before buying..butt what is one persons rubbish music is anothers ear candy in what ever format we listen to it

Don't worry Stuart. A few of us here would likely be classed as relics also.

I do buy CDs but definitely no ordinary jewel case: box, trifold, digipack, etc. I like objects.

When I have only files, I have the strange feeling of owning nothing. It's just good to listen before buying or for unavailable music.

I buy some new vinyl record these days and they sometime come with CD and also password for downloading

crazy!!!! but good too