UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finders Keepers Present Man Chest Hair

Im a bit behind on this comp as it came out a few year back and was released by the Finders Keepers label,in fact i had never heard of it till recently.This cd has 18 tracks,mainly unreleased stuff from the early 70s,and all acts on it are from the Manchester area,i must say to Finders Keepers that the title of the cd "Man Chest Hair",is the worst pun ive ever saw in a title of any kind....LOL.

I'm really glad i come across this collection as most of the tracks on it are good and are a good mix of hard rock,prog,a little touch of glam and hungover psych,as for the quality of the sound,i must say Andy Votel and Doug Shipton have done wonders with what they had to work with,old tapes,acetates etc all over 40 years old,on the main, sound is good ,some a bit rough"n"ready but that may be more to do with actual recordings and the conditions that they were recorded under way back then.

As for the package,i must say this cd comes with what i would call a little book,its even struggling to slide back into the jubilee case its that thick.Theres so much information i've not had the chance to read it all yet!!

As for the groups that feature on this collection,some will be known to us, others may have been unheard of,in my case i only knew a few,the more famous(maybe not a word you have seen used for obscure early 70s sounds before)The 2 that jumped out straight away were The Way We Live(who later morphed into Tractor)and the excellent J.C.Heavy whos tracks have been scattered across comps like "Mixed Up Minds",i must add all 4 of J.C.Heavys tracks are bloody brilliant,and it's a real shame they never got round to releasing an album.
Stackwaddy another group i have saw mentioned in the past,feature here too with a demo of an unreleased track titled"Hunt The Stag".I must plead ignorance as its the only thing i have heard from them,can anyone give a bit of feedback on their other recordings?
Oscar was another one i have saw mentioned,they feature here with a song"Good Lovin Woman",and the final act i had heard off is Grisby Dyke with a number titled"Nebula".

You may notice i'm not describing the music by each act as its still new to me and i found listening to this as a whole most enjoyable.

I'm sure others who frequent here will enjoy it as much as i have,it's worth a punt,i paid £6 for it,i'm not sure what its going for on Amazon now,but well worth it if you pay under £10 for it.Of course thats just my opinion!!!

Good night folks.

Re: Finders Keepers Present Man Chest Hair

I really like this comp as well. The pun is funny - and approrpiate given the hairy nature of the music. The vinyl edition even came with a free bottle of Brut aftershave I think!

PM

Re: Finders Keepers Present Man Chest Hair

Stewart Stacwaddy are well worth checking out on you tube great act