UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Andromeda double CD set

Does anyone have the 2 x CD Andromeda - 'The Complete Collection' set? I just wondered what the second CD with the live stuff on is like. Also the liner notes? I know John Ducann did this all himself.

PM

Re: Andromeda double CD set

Hello Paul,

I have a 2cd set called Definitive Collection on Angel Air Records. Is it this one you are talking about?

Liner notes are not from John du Cann but by "Claes Johansen with thanks to JdC".

I don't listen to this set for years so I can't tell what is on cd 2 but 4 tracks are live.

It will be on my cd player soon.

Hi Philippe,
Yes that's the right set you have; 'Definitive' not 'Complete', my mistake. Will be interested to know what's on Disc 2 then.

Paul

All tracks are not detailed on CD 2 but you have:

- 5 tracks from John Peel's Top Gear's radio sessions (1968), exc. sound

- 2 songs not included on Andromeda's 1st album, exc. sound

- 2 tracks are the first ever recordings by the band (1967), vg. sound

- 4 tracks are live in London (1967-8), muddy sound but listenable

- 1 track is the last ever Andromeda's recording (1970).

Origin of 4 tracks is not listed on the booklet.

As it is still at a correct price, I think this set is good to have.

Thanks Philippe, I wil lindeed get it

Paul

Andromeda were a very good group which could appeal to psych/prog and late 60s heavy rock enthusiasts.The double cd you ask about Paul is very good and recommended...i also want to point out Angel Air released another 2 cds of Andromeda stuff,from 2005 is"originals"which states that, and i quote"Mastered from original acetates from 1969,this is how John Du Cann first laid out the album."And from 2007"Beginnings 1967-68",and i quote"the earliest sessions from progressive power trio Andromeda",both cds have to be recommended,with"Beginnings"being my fave of the 2.John also recorded with Atomic Rooster and Hard Stuff,who originally were called Bullet and recorded a bunch of stuff from 70/71,which were released on cd in 2010 by Angel Air under the title"Entrance To Hell",i wholeheartedly recommend this cd also,which has 17 tracks,some were rerecorded under the name Hard Stuff and included on their debut album.And of course earlier recordings he took part in from the Five Days A Week Straw People album,a must for UK psych enthusiasts.John Du Cann recorded many good tracks from the late 60s and early 70s and i feel he's an under rated figure from this time.All recordings mentioned here all have something to commend them and will be of interest to many who take part in RZ!!!

Thanks for that info Stuart, I'll certainly follow it all up. I have often looked for the two Bullet albums but couldn't find them easily on CD, now I know they are on a two-fer that makes it easier. I totally agree John Du Cann is an underreated figure and a fine rock song writer and perfromer. I have a CD full of his 1970s output also on Angel Air called 'The World's Not BIg Enough' which is full of sparkling rock and catchy pop rock tunes. I also bought two of the 45s that feature on this comp, which at the tme were very hard to find. Then after he sadly died, his estate started putting surplus material on eBay which included several boxes of his 45s including these two for a tenner each:

Where’s The Show / Hang Around (Arista, 1977)
Throw Him In Jail / Street Strutter (Arista, 1977)

As Angel Air seem to have licensed everything he ever recorded, I'll have a look at their website as well. Thanks again Stuart.

Paul

I didn't know much about John Du Cann. Thanks for the infos.

I found just one Bullett LP and two Hard Stuff. What is the music like? Is it as interesting as Andromeda or just basic hard-rock?

The 1977 LP + bonus of JDC sounds good too.

Hard Stuff is hard rock but the second album 'Botox Dementia' is a bit funkier. I like them both, only ever had CDRs of them years ago.

P

Thanks Paul.

Given how many releases of Andromeda material we've seen over the years, wouldn't it just make sense to put it all together in a box set at this point?

I think if it were licensed to Grapefruit / Cherry Red it would have been by now. I'm not sure Angel Air go in for box sets though. I think they may have licensed individual tracks to Grapfruit for inclusion on comp box sets like the 'let's Go Down And Blow Our Minds'.

PM