UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roger Bunn

very under rated album.It's well worth researching this guy makes for a enjoyable read.
His son still plays Rogers guitar today

my link not my rip
Roger Bunn[1969 ]- Piece Of Mind.zip
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/Hs2QsQol/file.html

Re: Roger Bunn

Hello Phil,i've enjoyed this album for many years and was well chuffed when it came out on legit cd way back in 2005(where has the time went) released with some pretty good bonus tracks and with involvement from Roger Bunn himself,and released by Rollercoaster Records.I have to mention the brilliant liners within the 36 page booklet,tells the full story of Roger and groups and artistes he recorded with,and theres some well known groups(to the folks here anyway).A thing of interest mentioned in the liners is of a unreleased Daevid Allen album recorded in 1968 in a Paris hotel with the title"Dreaming the Magic of Your Maya"only 2 acetates exist and Roger Bunn had one of those.

Reading the liners Roger Bunn comes across as a real decent person,which included being involved in helping other artistes get back royalties amongst other things.Roger seems to have led a very interesting life and he even played with Roxy Music for a short time(we wont hold that against him)As for the music.....some very strange stuff and wont be accessible to some folk,but i love it,a real original and unique sound which was recorded in Holland in 1968 & 1969.Yes it does have a strong jazz feel in places,but you owe it to yourself to have a listen,even just the once....

Sadly just as this cd reissue was being released way back in 2005,Roger Bunn passed away,and sadly never got to see his baby reissued in such a fine way.The artwork for the album"piece of mind"is cracking,a really trippy cover but maybe in a bad trippy way?The cd is not in a jubilee case(which paul martin would have been happy with when the cd was first issued) but a gatefold mini album type of thingy!!!

All in all,a cd worth having,but i can imagine it being pretty scarce now adays though i don't know for sure.Its worth having for the very good liners and the very good sound created for the cd,but i have never heard the original vinyl release,so can't compare the sound to that!!A fabulously and high quality reissue which i remember receiving all those years ago,and feeling delighted when i opened the package and held it in my hand.........fabby dabby!!!

thanks Stuart good to see you posting I was thinking only the other day that I hadnt seen you posting.
Just checked amazon and his cd is on there for just under £12.00 or £12.19 new from amazon so hoping a few folk will listen and enjoy his album and buy it.

Yup Stuart, it's a nifty record and I like the extra tracks too. I got to know Roger around the time this was released, and I think my copy was used for the cover art. I remember talking him out of trying to alter the record in hindsight. I think he felt the little snippet songs felt dated, but I told him the whole thing was great and needed to be re-released as close to it was as possible, albeit with extra tracks.
A really talented guy who was very courteous and fun to chat with as well.

Stuart: The "Dreaming The Magic of Your Maya" LP was indeed released back in 1968 under the name Princess Flower and The Moon Rays. The LP is noted in Patrick Lundborg's Acid Archives book and was reissued by Wah Wah circa 2012.

The main guy behind the LP is one Loren Standlee, who had connections to the NYC avant garde art scene back in the day. The original LP is essentially a private pressing with only a very small handful of copies ever turning up in the New York City area.

Daevid Allen is one of two guitarists credited on the LP, the other being one Fej Mornin who, it is suspected, might be Allen in disguise. "Between Spirits" is the only track to properly credit Allen.

The 2012 reissue has an extra LP of material recorded in 1970 at Apostolic Studios in NYC. The reissue also has an insert featuring an interview with Loren Standlee, which is very insightful regarding how the LP came into being.

As for the actual music? Let's just call it an interesting and unique curio from the era.

I do have a link for the album[Dreaming The Magic of Your Maya] if anyone wants a listen