UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PINK BOOTS AND LIPSTICK

Hi

Just stumbled across this series on Amazon.

There appear to be 14 volumes and 391 tracks of 'rare glam and bubblegum from the 70s'.

Does anyone know anything about them? They look VERY interesting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=pink+boots+and+lipstick

Re: PINK BOOTS AND LIPSTICK

Thanks for flagging these up. They are indeed interesting, just a pity they only seem to exist in the air rather than as physical CDs.

Having scrolled through several volumes (though I don't know you can call downloads 'volumes'), I find I have many of these titles as the original vinyl singles. From this I can state that the actual records are good quality British and Euro glam from the 70s. They cover all the areas of this such as hard-pop rock, art-glam, terrace stompers, repetitive hand clapping chorus pop, proto-punk etc from across Europe and beyond. There were some belting glam records from The Netherlands, Spain and Scandinavia for instance.

If you're interested in the glammier / stompier singles from the fringes of 70s pop and rock, and are comfortable with buying downloads then there's a lot here you would enjoy. Especially as a lot of them have that great open loud 70s production sound.

You can find (or could at one time) a lot of these on Robin Wills's Purepop blog site and many are up on Youtube if you don't mind (I would assume) infereior quality streams of them.

I'd buy these as physical copies, but I've never bought a donwload yet.

While I'm at it, I'd also recommend the new 4 x CD boxset of all Hello's 1970s albums and unreleased glam rock just issued on Cherry Red - likewise the upcomng Glitter Band box set at the end of this month.

Hey! Hey!

PM

Re: PINK BOOTS AND LIPSTICK

Yeah, thanks for these.
I might have to check some of these out.
I don't like downloads either, it's sound quality with me more than anything but a load of tracks unavailable elsewhere is fair enough.
I came across similar download only collections while trawling for rare girl group sounds where you got 120 tracks for a tenner, the tracks were vinyl rips and sounded pretty good.
I looked and this is available on itunes, they supposedly use the best quality files.