UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972

Well it arrived this past week - twice actually, as amazon.uk didn't include the Obscured By Clouds 2016 remix the first time. If you haven't been following along, the Obfusc/ation book unintentionally included a 2016 remix of Pompeii (an unexpected treat) instead of ObC. Most of the boxes had a copy of ObC slipped into the outer packaging before they were shipped out... mine however didn't. I contacted amazon and a replacement box arrived in two days - colour me impressed!
I'm only scratching the surface at this point, as it will take quite some time to get through it all, but it's well and truly a dream come true. I've had tons of Floyd bootlegs for years, so much of this is familiar... but the sonic upgrade really is breathtaking (and I'm just getting into the second CD of Cambridge St/ation at this point - the Live in Stockholm 1967 section... ooooh, Syd's vocals have finally become audible at the end of 'Matilda Mother'- nice!). Previous to that though, hearing 'In The Beechwoods', 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' in pristine clarity is worth the price of admission.
Okay, maybe not quite as this was a hell of a lot of money - probably the most I've laid out for one purchase. Who am I kidding, this IS the most I've ever paid for a single item - but what an item it is!
All I can say is, if you can - GET IT!

Paul martin
Can't see one of Amazon's delivery drones even getting airborne with that hooked underneath!

I hope you're not an Ian Hunter fan as well Mark because....

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ian-hunter-stranded-in-reality-career-spanning-30-disc-box-set/#comment-1294720

PM

Actually, I am a fan of Ian Hunter, but I had already decided to give this a miss when I first heard of it (as I did with the Alex Harvey 'The Last of the Teenage Idols' box as well).
Most likely I'll be kicking myself in the future, but one has to prioritize right?

Mark - I read there was some issue in some sets with some of the Blue Rays not working but that replacements could be got from Warners.Maybe try those all out in case. This set was available as av Black Friday deal on amazon.de yesterday for around £320 I think. If they still sell each of the component sets separately next year a was mooted originally, I'll defo be up for the first one.

PM

I think santa is bringing me a £10 cd called Pink Floyd the early years but I dont think its the £300 jobby Mark must be drooling xmas has come early.Must say I love most of the PF early music

Not got through much of it so far, but Stockholm '67 is amazing, mostly for Syd's mindblowing guitar playing which is clear as a bell. Given this was September '67 when Syd was reportedly deeply into his downward spiral, it is pretty amazing and he sounds on top of his game. He was truly a groundbreaking guitar player and completely instinctual.

Vegetable man is also pretty incredible to hear in this quality and the mix is fantastic too making it sound like a proper finished track, but with all the madness left in it. Scream is also in amazing sound quality, but the mix lets it down slightly in my opinion. Beechwoods sounds like a real lost classic - up there with Syd's best stuff with Floyd and even in instrumental form is stunning. Oh for a vocal take.

That's about as far as I've got with it. Still to listen to John Latham tracks and BBC '67 sessions. I'm not a huge fan of post-Syd floyd, so I imagine it will take me a while to wade through the post-'68 stuff.

Paul martin
Mark - I read there was some issue in some sets with some of the Blue Rays not working but that replacements could be got from Warners.Maybe try those all out in case. This set was available as av Black Friday deal on amazon.de yesterday for around £320 I think. If they still sell each of the component sets separately next year a was mooted originally, I'll defo be up for the first one.

PM

I've heard similar stories as well Paul, but so far so good. I really should try each one out as you suggest, but I guess I'm too much of a stick-in-the-mud to break up the sequence (everything in proper order!)

Going up-thread a bit to the "I hope you're not a fan of Ian Hunter" inquiry... guess what I'm getting for xmas?
Does anyone have it yet? I'm excited as hell, but I do seem to read a lot of grumbling that it's overpriced, etc. To me, $14 CDN per disc ain't bad at all!