UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
listening formats pondering

I notice a lot these days on eBay CDs offered as 'like new, played only once to upload to my Iphone' I can see if you are a reviewer or get given a lot of free CDs this might be a way of having your cake and eating it! However, a lot seem to be just regular people. We are led to believe that everything is available on ITunes. If you really only want to have the music on your phone, why buy the CD? You could make a few quid re-selling it, but is that really cost effective over buying a download from ITunes and the immediacy of getting it that way? It's good for me, not being into downlaoding / streaming etc as I can get new discs cheaper than retail, but I would like to know the buyer's rationale.

Has anyone here ever bought a CD just to upload it and then sell it on?I'd be interested to know why if so, was it something not on ITunes? It would give the lie to the belief in the redundancy of CDs if so.

Cheers
PM

Re: listening formats pondering

Nope. You're surely going to lose out unless it's a particularly rare cd as their trade value is very low.

I keep all CDs I buy, even if I transfer them on my phone.

Buying a download is for me like spending money for some wind.

As computers don't have CD engraver now, the only remaining option is LPs...

I sold my LP collection three years ago, keeping just 200 titles. But until this time I buy again vinyl, mostly reissues.

I can't imagine buying a CD and sold it after copy.

Old generation perhaps...

It may be my imagination but files ripped from a cd seem to sound better than the digital files from Amazon etc. I also find the cd booklets from labels like rpm, ace, sun dazed etc something that I want to have and be able to go back to from time to time. Hard to read given the font size but packed with great info and pictures

Not unlike in cassette tape days when pre-recorded cassettes sounded like someone walking through porridge in the middle distance, whilst a vinyl needle drop to blank cassette tape had 100% more volume and clarity. Those were simple times!

PM