UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Starry Eyed & Laughing

I have had the 'To Try For The Sun' collection for a while but only just got round to playing it yesterday. All I can say is wow!! It's a 20 track collection of covers and originals recorded in the ealy mid 70s but you'd never know it, thay all sound like the band wrote them!

This is just sublime as are their other collections on Aurora, but I am utterly entranced by this set. There's covers of The Searchers'When You Walk In The Room' that sound like the Byrds from 1965 and Gene Clarke's 'Echoes' and one or two others that have the Byrds psychedleic sound. There's Stephen Stills's / Buffalo Springfield's 'For What It's Worth' but with superb guitar work that really draws the song out into a much longer peice than the original. Then there's the country rock Byrds but so subtelly blended with the folk rock sound it sounds even better than that!

If the Chestefield Kings were the Rolling Stones in another universe, then Starry Eyed and Laughing were The Byrds in that same universe! I could listen to this collection all day, it just keeps on giving. At 77 minutes it also makes me wonder if there's still more in the vaults? If you like that blended vocal and twelve string elecric guitar sound the Byrds did so well, you absolutely should own this - plus it's only cheap and a proper CD this time not a CDR! What's not to like.

PM

I can echo all said about this group I purchased their cd from the band site very quick delivery and a great cd

just purchased Starry Eyed And Laughing-Forever Young from amazon great Byrdsy album well worth £8

Tales Of Justine

there's an interesting historical link to the above band and se&l.

' ...Daltrey went on to record some singer-songwriter demos and later formed a band called Carillion, who played a Byrds-influenced brand of rock and supported David Bowie on his Ziggy Stardust tour. Daltrey departed when no record contract was forthcoming and Carillion later evolved into Starry Eyed and Laughing.'

thanks to angi

I see their only album on amazon uk is 30 pounds.😤

Ha! don't get it from amazon, then.

go to http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/
and get it from the band's website. click on the recordings link.

All the best,
Steve.

A few days ago Tony Poole told me
'In the pipeline is a live concert DVD, and the current plan is to include a free 'live recordings' CD of stuff that isn't hi-fi but possibly of interest historically (!)'