UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Caravan s/t 1969

Caravan s/t 1969 Japan SHM-CD remaster

Pye Hastings (guitar/bass/vocals), Richard Coughlan (drums), David Sinclair (organ/vocals), and Richard Sinclair (bass/guitar/vocals). Guest: Jimmy Hastings (flute)

Coughlan, Hastings and the two Sinclairs formed Caravan in 1968. "We all had the same goal" recalled Richard Sinclair, "to make our music, write it ourselves, and make a living from it." The band rented a house in Whitstable, Kent for six months, where they began to write and rehearse new material. They also borrowed Soft Machine's PA for rehearsals while that band was on tour with Jimi Hendrix in the US, as Caravan did not have enough funds for their own equipment. They were forced to leave in June and ended up living in tents and rehearsing in a local church hall. By October, they had attracted the interest of music publicist Ian Ralfini, who signed them to the American record label, Verve Records, and became the first British act they signed. Verve subsequently released the band's debut LP, Caravan (1968), later the same year, but a few months later moved out of the UK record business and dropped the band.
-wikipedia

http://dfiles.eu/files/xi9o3t1ww
p/w = xara

thanks to Marios

Re: Caravan s/t 1969

Why would you post links to illegally-hosted soundfiles of currently available CDs? Don't you want these releases to keep appearing?

Thoroughly enjoy the first 3 albums by Caravan,and was over the moon when they got remastered and reissued with nice packaging and great sound and most can be picked up for around the £5 mark now which is a real bargain!!Yeh i'm puzzled why folks,(many of whome could afford a fiver or thereabouts) would rather grab this music free rather than spending around a fiver for a glorious product with cracking liners to boot,and may give the writers and band members a wee bit of a royalty(amazing the amount of groups from the 60s and 70s that totally got ripped off!,with The Small Faces as an example)!If this keeps happening and folk would rather grab this music free from the net rather than fork out for them,it will not be worth for those small but perfectly formed labels to keep issuing albums or recordings on cd,as it just won't be financially viable for them to carry on. Particularly when sales of cds went down again last year,but vinyl seems to be picking up!!I don't want to see the likes of Esoteric,Repertoire,Grapefruit,,RPM (and more)to disappear.Amen!! ..Back to the self titled debut album,this is a good starter and fine debut album from Caravan,but the following 2 albums where just a tad a bit better(to my ears anyway).The BBC double cd set is well good,featuring many songs from the early days...really nice stuff.

Apologies to all for my actions. Sure, you are right.
I'm unable to buy much music due to limited income and have health issues, so i've got used to seeing this as liberating the music rather than stealing it. i didn't know that some of these cds are only a fiver now.
I'll not post like this again here.
Sorry,
Steve.

Hey Steve,no need to apologize mate,it's just great to have you taking part on this board,you come over as a very enthusiastic music lover,which is what we both have in common!!I love mainly late 60s and early 70s music be it psych,prog,folk and plain old pop,it really was a time for experimenting and trying new sounds in that period,not just in the UK or USA but world wide,im also enthusiastic for South American psych,where some great records were made in tiny numbers in a basic 2 or 4 track studio(if that).Amazing to think now groups have all the mod cons in massive multi tracked studios,.Its easy to forget a group like The Moody Blues recorded and released 4 albums in the space of around 2 years in the late 60s in what compared to whats available for groups now must seem very basic ,you're lucky these days if groups release 1 album in 4 years!!! The Moody Blues"In Search of The Lost Chord"is in my top ten list of UK albums ever,i think its a terrific UK psych album which seems to get pushed to the side,just like Pink Floyds"More" album which seems to get forgotten about when discussing the floyds recordings.I wholeheartedly recommend the deluxe 2 cd sets of the late 60s Moody Blues albums,some absolute magical music as extras on the second discs.

Anyway Steve,i have been in the position of being really penniless through ill health and other personal things,where i basically was lucky if i could afford 2 cds a month,i quenched my thirst for more psych and other sounds by trading the music im so enthusiastic about with like minded people, people from around the globe,at that time it was the only way i could obtain or hear those ultra rare records and some not so ultra rare,of course this was many years ago,things have now become so easy to obtain via new technologies,like the internet. I am in a bit of a lucky position to be able to buy cd reissues or collections at the moment and truthfully its where most of my income goes too.It seems i've went a bit off track here,Steve you keep enjoying the music,and keep taking part here at RZ,some very knowledgable folk on here too and very helpful people too at that!!I have been quiet on here the last year due to things happening in my personal life and serious illness in the family,which limited my time to be able to take part in many conversations here.But i'm off today and here i am,taking part and waffling on a bit...lol.....boring bugger that i am!!!

Apologies are not needed on here Steve.........Just you carry on enjoying the enjoyable!!!!Peace!!

Cheers Stuart. i felt a bit stupid and vulnerable here for a while.
far from boring, your message was well received. i've very similar tastes to you - in search of the lost chord was one of the earliest albums i bought as a youth.
age 16 i met caravan via a schoolmate who was dave sinclair's cousin. we used to go watch them rehearse and share a few 'numbers' with them.
as for south american psych bands - yeah! there's some really good ones in the passages of time!
i have to prepare for work now - i have a few hours today working from home - and i'll need to rest for a while before that.

speak soon.

Steve.

stuart robertson
... and most can be picked up for around the £5 mark now which is a real bargain!!Yeh i'm puzzled why folks,(many of whome could afford a fiver or thereabouts) would rather grab this music free rather than spending around a fiver for a glorious product with cracking liners to boot,and may give the writers and band members a wee bit of a royalty ...

So where can i get new CDs for around a fiver? [including postage?]
As i've bugger all income and can't leave the house, i'd welcome some +ve advice from you.

Steve.

Hiya Steve,just been over to amazon,the first 4 Caravan albums reissued on remastered cd with plenty of bonus tracks and cracking booklets are going very cheap,all around £3 plus postage takes them over £4 mark,all available under a fiver mate.happy hunting!!

I love the first album but a lot of the tracks seem to fade out. It sounds like they were recorded longer if that makes sense.

Just listening to the original mono version on my computer * and yes, some of the tracks do fade out, as in those days it wasn't thought to be commercial enough by most record label people to have songs lasting more than a little over 3 or 4 minutes.

a sad example of this is that in USA they cut bob dylan's single, like a rolling stone, in half, fading out on side 1 and fading back in on side 2 of the record. fortunately, the execs at CBS in the UK released it in it's 6+ minute version on side A and put gates of eden [if my memory serves me well] on side B.

i had the privilege of watching these guys rehearse and the songs often went into a jam lasting for as long as they wanted.
=============
thanks again to SR - i ordered the 1st album for under a fiver from amazon
=============
* When i started this thread i should have mentioned i had bought the album on the verve label when it was released. The band all signed it on the back cover.
so i felt good, not mean, to get it later for free.