UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Third Ear Band

Fantastic unusual band that made several albums and regularly performed at free and ticketed gigs in the late 70's-early 80's.

They recorded their first session in 1968 for Ron Geesin which was released under the pseudonym of The National-Balkan Ensemble on one side of a Standard Music Library disc.

The album I first heard by them, as a youth, was Alchemy, released on the EMI Harvest label in 1969 and featured John Peel. Their 1st whole album release.

Going cheep cheep at
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-50397

Delicious!

Re: Third Ear Band

I agree, a great band.

You have excellent taste in music!
I seem to remember they opened the Rolling Stones free gig in Hyde Park.
Maybe.

many up to date infos here about the band
http://ghettoraga.blogspot.it/

This is a group I first encountered well over 20 years ago, it was a cd of the debut album alchemy, a real original sound but just did not float my boat. Bought the second album elements on cd too many many years ago, again a real original sound but I found it pretty mundane. I see there's a 3 cd issue of this has been released by esoteric with unreleased recordings. I have to admit I've not heard macbeth though. Weren't they called hydrogen sun trolley or something like that before they were third ear band? They were known to feature on psych /underground music venues, does anyone know if they recorded anything way back in the 67-69 years as hydrogen sun trolley?? I really have to give alchemy another listen as it's been many years since I've spun it, see if time has changed the vibe I get from it. It's an album I was desperate to like, but I didn't. Anyone get the 3 cd set of elements released by esoteric? The unreleased recordings any good?? Thank you.

Not sure if they recorded anything Stuart but they came together from two previous bands-Giant Sun Trolley and Hydrogen Jukebox.

Mr WW,
For many years I hoped there might be, but Giant Sun Trolley and Hydrogen Jukebox never had a contract with any record company nor money or inclination probably to hire a studio to record stuff for a private pressing in the pre Third Ear Band days and portable recorders like walkman cassette player/recorders weren't invented so people at a gig couldn't record the performances. So, sadly, like so much non-commercial music from this era there are no audio records of these guy's earlier bands. Let's be grateful for what we do have.
Stuart, mate,
Like a fine wine, have your musical taste buds changed with the passing of the years to appreciate their stuff now?