UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bert Sommer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1pV8zRVaw

'Jennifer' was on "The Road to Travel" released on Capitol Records which had been out a few months and they were in the studio recording his second album on Artie's new indie record label Eleuthera Records called "Inside Bert Sommer". The choice of songs to perform at Woodstock was difficult to say the least. Artie wanted some new material that would capture the attention of the Woodstock feeling.
-bertsommer.com

Bert Sommer’s contribution to Woodstock unfortunately can never be visually documented as it happened.

According to his biography, the playlists are all quoted incorrectly by claiming that the only songs that Sommer played during Woodstock were “Jennifer” and “America”, which was a cover of a Simon & Garfunkel song that Paul Simon himself claimed to be the best cover of any song by any artist.

The actual ten song list which is as follows: “Jennifer”, “The Road To Travel”, “I Wondered Where You’d Be”, “She’s Gone” , “Things Are Going My Way”, “And When It’s Over”, “Jeanette”, “America”, “A Note That Read”, and “Smile”, most of which were cut from documented history due to horrible recording. Sommer’s friend who is responsible for his biography is convinced that the footage of Sommer’s entire set is simply non-existent.

Sommer was also the character Woof in the first Broadway production titled “Hair”, his biography states that he never lost his sense of humor about himself. He is quoted as saying “I was involved in the two most famous counterculture events of the 60’s, “Hair” and Woodstock 1969. That and a token will get you on the New York subway! “
- woodstockstory.com

Re: Bert Sommer

I have his three albums. The first one from 1968 is a classic.

Re: Bert Sommer

I'm pretty confident this has never appeared on cd/vinyl..
Bert Sommer-Woodstock 1969[320].zip
http://www82.zippyshare.com/v/9UbnjDSC/file.html

my link/ this includes the introduction to Bert Sommer