UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hey!: 1970s Rock 'n' Glam From The President Jukebox

The more elderly amongst us such as myself regard the word 'digital' as meaning a CD as opposed to a vinyl record. I think everyone else uses 'digital' to mean 'download'(or streaming? - get with it grandad eh!). This is a download compilation by the looks of it hence the invisiblity of it on CD Philippe.

I have many of the inclusions on it as original 45s and can vouch for its quality. As Philippe said, it is as much rock and pop as glam, but, certainly given the quirkiness of the label and the obscurity of many of the artists on it, you can hear the same songs as differing genres and it would be worth getting. Some of the titles will be found on other CD comps including the President label compilation on LP (Tenth Planet) and CD (Grapefruit??) but some are not. If you are favourably disposed towards buying downloads, and like the marginalia of the early 70s prog-pop / under the radar pop rock etc that President seem to be a good exponent of, this would be well worth getting for sure in my opinion.

PM (zimmer framing my way around the 'net!)

Thanks, both - I've now got it, and have also just purchased volumes 15 to 18 of Pink Boots & Lipstick (Rare Glam & Bubblegum From The 70s) which seemed to sneak out at the start of the year.

Keeping track of digital releases, especially rare ones released with little or no publicity, is tough

Buster

Hi Buster,
I can definitely confirm that Paintbox did indeed exist, and made two singles on the President label.
The track " Take It From Here " was the 'B' side, of our first release in 1972 on President Records PT384. The song was written by Paul Bonner and myself, Mike Eastman.
The 'A ' side was a song called, " Come On Round " which was written by Vanda / Young from the Easybeats.

We have a Facebook page and a website for more information.

Kind Regards,
Mike Eastman. ( Paintbox ).

Mike Eastman.
Hi Buster,
I can definitely confirm that Paintbox did indeed exist, and made two singles on the President label.
The track " Take It From Here " was the 'B' side, of our first release in 1972 on President Records PT384. The song was written by Paul Bonner and myself, Mike Eastman.
The 'A ' side was a song called, " Come On Round " which was written by Vanda / Young from the Easybeats.

We have a Facebook page and a website for more information.

Kind Regards,
Mike Eastman. ( Paintbox ).

And what about the Youngblood single: Get Ready For Love/Can I Get To Know You? Only Vanda/Young involved or you too? Thanks!

Only Vanda and Young on the Young Blood single, but they were involved in 'Come On Round' which they wrote, and were happy for the band to tour. We featured 'Getting Ready For Love' in our stage act.

Vanda and Young went on to form the Marcus Hook Roll Band, and others.

President Records label, CD copies will be available later in the year.