UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Macca

I'm doing a playlist (see, compilations have died, they're called playlists now and you stream them rather than compile them, unless you're precious about it, then you say you'curate' them!).

Anyway, I want to put together a list of McCartneyisms, which I will call 'McCartney Sent Me' (as in 'I'm real gone man!). Off the top of my head I've thought of the artists below for inclusion without any thought to which tracks. Please feel free to suggest others and indeed specific tracks from anywhere in the world.

Cheers

PM (no not Macca!)

The Key
Badfinger
Emit Rhodes
The Aerovons
Hollins Ferry
Liverpool Echo
Rocking Horse
We Altogether

Re: Macca

I should also add - it doesn't matter about the time frame, 60s - 000s. It would help though if you're gonna say Bee Gees or Elton John etc if you could suggest a specific track. I'd like to try and err on the side of passed over at the time artists rather than those with a vast cannon of their own.

PM (same birthday,same first name, same initials, both left handed bass guitarists, but also for me, different bank balances!)

Great idea Paul! A quick one off the top of my head would be The Dodgers - Don't Let Me Be Wrong(single version). I've always loved that song.

Nice one, thanks Richard
Paul

Driftwood on DEcca?

Canadian band (hey, it's my country after all) The Nines have quite a few McCartney-esque tracks. Unfortunately, off the top of my head I can't think of which ones...
I shall delve deeper tomorrow morning and get back to you with suggestions.

Also, speaking of "off the top of my head", I've always found XTC can nail a good Macca-vibe (of course, being the 80's Beatles and all). 'Brainiac's Daughter'- yeah, from that alter-ego band, and 'I'd Like That' from Apple Venus fit the bill nicely I think.

What about the Sleepy Hollow album?Not heard it in a long time,but i do remember at the time thinking thats kinda Beatles like.Another that springs to mind is some of We All Together material.I cant think of any titles from those albums.....but just a couple of suggestions,but 2 albums that are pretty good.Whether you find them Macca like i don't know.

Yes Mark the Nines a very good powerpop band and the singer does have a macca sound to his voice

Thanks everyone, all good suggestions I think.

PM

How about the Tony Hazzard song "Paul McCartney"? And along with the Aerovons already mentioned, the Tom Hartman b-side "A Little More" is very McCartney sounding.

Thanks Joe, great suggestions

Paul

Sounds like a fun compilation, Paul!

Hey Paul, I thought of a few more that could maybe work. Some of these are more Macca-esque than others but I'll let you be the judge:

The Flame - Lady
The Flame - Don't Worry Bill
The Flame - Highs and Lows
The Flame - Dove
The Flame - Another Day Like Heaven
The Tremeloes - I Swear
The Tremeloes - By The Way
The Tremeloes - Me and My Life
Colours - Helping You Out
Colours - Where Is She?
Colours - I Think of Here (She's On My Mind)
Grapefruit - Lullaby
Octopus - I Say
Rainbow Ffolly - Goodbye
The Twilights - Bessamae
Tranquility - Thank You
Savage Grace - Turn Your Head
Klaatu - Sub Rosa Subway
Vaughan Thomas - Woman in the West
Vaughan Thomas - We Are The People

Some people might find the Hudson Brothers a bit cheesy(their TV show certainly was) but they could really write catchy Beatlesque pop songs:

Hudson Brothers - Spinning The Wheel
Hudson Brothers - Oh Gabriel
Hudson Brothers - Isn't It Lovely
Hudson Brothers - So You Are A Star
Hudson Brothers - With Somebody Else

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much Richard, I will certainly check all those out. Good old Klattu, completely forgot about them. Much obliged

Paul

Two tracks from Yellowstone and Voice's 1971 album on Regal Zonophone: 'Lonely Man and 'Thinking about you and me'. In fact the whole album is very Macca.

Thanks very much, I haven't listened to that album in years, must look it up again.

PM